LED Review - OceanRevive Arctic-S026

Sascha D.

You're right, the edges of the lights are resting on the bars and the bars span from track to track. It might be a good idea to put a cross brace or another bar in the middle of the two for safety. What kind of safety catch would you install?

I thought the eggcrate would be a good idea to help diffuse the light from the LEDs and give the tank a more uniform look. It worked, but I don't want to compromise safety either.

Considering that the LED is a point source of light, I do not think that the eggcrate will diffuse the light. With florescent lighting, it would diffuse or intensify depending on which way the eggcrate faced. The edge is thicker on one side. If thick side is up, then it diffuses. If thick side is down, then it intensifies.

Patrick

I was just thinking of attaching a metal wire to it in case the egg crate gives way, at least it will not drop right into the tank. Kind of a catch rope just in case.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

what i've seen of brttilized egg crate is that it breaks off in chunks and almost turns chalky. i don't think safety wire will help. i'd just poke on it occasionally and if it starts feeling "weird" replace it.

i never noticed egg crate was thicker on one side. i should go check my kitchen to see if i have it on right :). there's a 50/50 chance...so it's not.

Egg crate is thicker on one side, but I didn't know it made a difference.

How long does egg crate usually last? I've never had any long enough to deteriorate. I suppose I could switch it out for a chunk of metal wire shelving. That is what I had the lights sitting on before.

Egg crate is thicker on one side, but I didn't know it made a difference.

How long does egg crate usually last? I've never had any long enough to deteriorate. I suppose I could switch it out for a chunk of metal wire shelving. That is what I had the lights sitting on before.

i don't know. the stuff i have felt is when going through old stuff. but, it surely depends on environmental factors. the stuff in my kitchen is fine after 20 years. but it is always cool to the touch. and i fry a lot so it has a nice protective coating on it :).

I'm not very worried about heat at the moment. The fixtures are cool to the touch even after being on 10 hours. I've been checking periodically to see if water was splashing up and hitting the egg crate but they're completely dry. I don't have any salt creep anywhere above the tank or in the canopy and barely any in the sump. +1 for a decently designed tank.

I'm not very worried about heat at the moment. The fixtures are cool to the touch even after being on 10 hours. I've been checking periodically to see if water was splashing up and hitting the egg crate but they're completely dry. I don't have any salt creep anywhere above the tank or in the canopy and barely any in the sump. +1 for a decently designed tank.

Maybe ty was just messing with you :)

Maybe ty was just messing with you smile.png

The guy who once said his key to success is doing the opposite of everything I do? Nah!

I tried to follow his lead and do the opposite of everything I do, but I just ended up hurting myself. First, I got a headache, then my arms got tangled and I ended up falling to the ground. It was awful! doh.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I had hoped that this thread would help people, but I never imagined this many people would contact me directly with LED questions. It has truly been a great experience. Let's keep it going with some growth pictures!

March 9, 2014

post-2552-0-76109100-1397832110_thumb.jp

April 17, 2014

post-2552-0-19508100-1397832117_thumb.jp

February 18, 2014

post-2552-0-96434700-1397832171_thumb.jp

April 17, 2014

post-2552-0-32953900-1397832193_thumb.jp

Even though the pictures look different, they were all taken with the same camera. None of the pictures were edited or enhanced in any way. Also, the LED lights were mounted the same distance from the water as the T-5 fixture.

Hard to believe eh? Since switching to the new lights, I've noticed the colors are more vivid. They corals have actually gained color, instead of just displaying the color better.

Do you know the name of those palys?

After they colored up more they kinda look like flame skirt zoanthids... But that's just a guess and who knows if that's what everyone calls em or just the site that I enjoy browsing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

That's some respectable growth and coloration! I tend to keep my ears to the ground on lighting technology mad products whether I'm in the market or using them, or not. I know these units have been raising eyebrows since they came out.

Also keep in mind that I don't dose or monitor ca, alk or mg...yet. That growth has come with Ca levels below that of natural seawater. If I had had a mind to maintain chemistry levels then the growth would be greater. I've only done 4 water changes on this tank since last July.

Hollywood Stunner Chalice

2-23-14

post-2552-0-74222600-1399230420_thumb.jp

4-1-14

post-2552-0-95188600-1399230432_thumb.jp

4-17-14

post-2552-0-97639100-1399230445_thumb.jp

Cali Tort

12-2-13

post-2552-0-08218200-1399230621_thumb.jp

2-23-14

post-2552-0-66371300-1399230601_thumb.jp

4-17-14

post-2552-0-81826000-1399230612_thumb.jp

Oh Man, this is killing me.

These are now being sold for $150 until May 15th

And the new one's with a remote control and timer for $175

Guys, I would move and get these.

Oh Man, this is killing me.

These are now being sold for $150 until May 15th

And the new one's with a remote control and timer for $175

Guys, I would move and get these.

That's what I paid for mine. It's a good deal. To tell you the truth I don't miss the ability to time the lights. The people with a reef controller won't use the timers anyway, so they will save money if they buy this unit on sale. However, I don't think the ability to time the lights is worth the extra $25 per unit. There is no proof ramping up and down does anything for the corals and I don't see a point to it.

• 7 months later...

Hey Manta,

I still love my fixtures. So far no problems. I keep my units about 8" above the water and haven't had any issues with salt creep. The fans are silent at 75% power even with my open canopy.

I actually bought a third fixture for the display but haven't installed it yet. The two units were able to grow everything I put under them all the way to the sand bed 39" down. The problems is that I have my rocks set up in towers that go nearly all the way to the surface and they create shadows that I would like to dispel. If you had a typical set up, with rocks ascending front to back in a stadium seating kind of way, then you wouldn't have any problems at all.

Overall, they're the best fixtures I've ever had. I'll never go back to T-5 as long as I live.

To elaborate, three fixtures costs me less than half of what I was quoted from other companies using the same spectrum, similar LEDs and similar wattage. There are cheaper fixtures out there, but I found the quality and workmanship to be lacking. The people I personally know that purchased fixtures from overseas vendors were unhappy with their purchase and would not recommend them to me.

For me, these units were at an affordable price point, had good reviews on ARC and had acceptable quality that I would expect from a fixture in this price range or higher.

Thanks Sascha. I went ahead and ordered 3x for my 72" tank. I found several good reviews on other forums that agreed with your assessment.

The OceanRevive sale was helpful, so I was able to get 360w for my 150g for $408. That would have bought me one BML strip or one Kessil pendant... I just couldn't pass up a deal like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's about what I paid for three fixtures and I priced out similar LEDs like you did and got similar results. The lights will be good on your 72" tank and you won't lack coverage. They come with hanging kits. I didn't have a problem mounting the lights 8" above the water, but if you have splashing then I may mount them so they don't collect water on the lenses.

Before I bought them I spoke to many people. It was recommended to me to start them at 50% blue and 25% white. After a few weeks I went to 75% blue and 50% white because I like the purple 14k look. Right now my lights are 50/50 at 75% on each knob. I tried 100% blue 75% white and gave a few corals a sun burn.

My lighting period is from 10am to 9pm.

Archived