Time for the 90gl UPGRADE!

sifuentes31

Well after selling my 55 gl i've had for over 2 years i got the itch to UPGRADE!! I purchased a used 90gl from a fellow ARC member. It's a DSA Reef Ready tank and got a basic stand for it for the meantime. I plan on making it a FOWLR tank for now because we moved back into an apartment and don't want to go through the hastle of moving coral, sand, and a lot of equipment like the last time. I'm excited to get fish that i really want but couldn't do with a reef system.

For now here is a list of my equipment and i will update this first page as i continue working on my 90. It will be a slow process but it will be fun starting over again.

Equipment:

90 gallon DSA Reef Ready tank,

500 gallon return, (going to upgrade that very soon)

T5HO lights 1 actinic, 1 10k, ( upgrade soon also)

Stand (bought in San Antonio for real cheap)

29 gallon sump, ( home made simple sump)

Skimmer that doesnt fit under there so now i'm on the look out for another one. Not sure what yet.

Still need to build a canopy for it.

Livestock:

None at the moment

Live rock towers:

1 at the moment but waiting for more rock to make some cool designs with it.

Here of some pics of the rock tower i made:

post-2319-0-18275700-1393527328_thumb.jppost-2319-0-29969800-1393527376_thumb.jp

And of the tank with the light on and rock work on one side:

post-2319-0-05641300-1393527407_thumb.jp

snack.gif Following along.

If your going FOWLR then go Predator tank.

Lionfish, Eels, Angler

and a Banana, Goldbar, or Pinkface wrasse for color. (all non-reef safe)

Not sure how long you plan on staying in the Apt but if your moving to a new house afterwards that's always a good excuse to upgrade and keep both tanks going.

p.s. hope your not using that glue to make your rock columns.

Where might one find that acrylic rod locally? Regal?

Well i work for a manufacturing shop and those were some of the scraps i just picked up. But you're correct in Regal plastics. If you need a piece or two i can probably get if for you.

I'm going to try old tent stakes, you know the ones that slip together for the little dome tents.

of course will cut off the little metal end.. and see how that works

Yeah that will work. It's only plastic so it should work out fine. Just make sure the metal isn't inside that plastic. Also i think HomeDepot has some plastic rod also. Maybe Lowes....not sure though.

I was worried the ¼" PVC was too flexible. But I found today at Lowes some 6' plastic stakes in gardening. Really stiff and $3 for 6'. Just like rebar but solid plastic. I'll report if it works particularly well or poorly

I was worried the ¼" PVC was too flexible. But I found today at Lowes some 6' plastic stakes in gardening. Really stiff and $3 for 6'. Just like rebar but solid plastic. I'll report if it works particularly well or poorly

I've heard about other people using it, and I have not heard them mention any crashing.

Over the weekend I created another rock tower. All i need now is a center piece but havn't decided whether to use a Holey Rock or create one of dry reef rock. It won't be a tower but will have several caves.

post-2319-0-62947200-1393865953_thumb.jppost-2319-0-87706700-1393865975_thumb.jp

I think they came out pretty good just left a lot of dust in the water so i'm going to have to siphon it out later.

Over the weekend I created another rock tower. All i need now is a center piece but havn't decided whether to use a Holey Rock or create one of dry reef rock. It won't be a tower but will have several caves.

attachicon.gifIMG_0732.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0733.JPG

I think they came out pretty good just left a lot of dust in the water so i'm going to have to siphon it out later.

If you are looking for a holey rock center piece I have a few large pieces for sale that could look really good, in fact these came out of a 90 gallon tank

post-2485-0-63822300-1393866951_thumb.jp

post-2485-0-28903000-1393866970_thumb.jp

post-2485-0-64918300-1393866982_thumb.jp

post-2485-0-38947900-1393867011_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more rock from CRigs yesterday. Did a little something in the center but really don't like it. Might reaquascape tonight, although it does have a lot of caves and stuff but my sailfin is too big to go through them. Would be really good for smaller fish.

Thats only half the rock in there right now, the rest i put in my sump. Everything is looking good except now the tang has a little ICH. I'm running my UV right now and hope in a few days he gets better. If not, then a fresh water dip might do him some good.

post-2319-0-05921900-1395057673_thumb.jp

So now the sailfin has ich. He's had it for about a week and a half now so i turned on my UV sterilizer. As the week went by he got a little worse and twice as much white bumps. The only thing is he's been eating great! Always swimming around and munching on Seaweed or the mysis i give him. Thursday night though, i noticed him scratching his body on rocks. Not a good sign. So i let it go for the time being and friday night i couldn't stand it any more. So Friday night i gave him a fresh water bath and cleaned up the tank and did a water change. After a few hours he was swimming around like nothing had happened. So now comes in this Saturday morning. I noticed a few white spots again, but he isn't rubbing his body on the rocks. He ate well this morning on seaweed but now i'm looking into buying Ruby Reefs Ich treatment. Anybody ever use this stuff?

If the tang is all you have in there and it becomes a constant battle, try lowering your salinity in the tank slowly to 1.009. If you have the patience to do this you can remove ich from the entire tank as ich cannot survive in salinty that low. You have to keep the tank at that salinity and make sure that you do it long enought for all of the ich in the tank to go through its entire life cycle.

If you have no inverts our corals in the tank and just the fish, I would do the low salinity treatment madsalt mentioned. Just use a refractometer as you need precision for salinity for this to work. I wouldn't trust a hydrometer with this one.

Otherwise, if it's eating, just keep feeding it like crazy and soak food in garlic. They get over it usually pretty quickly and some argue the catching and treating it all that time is worst for it because it stresses it out. I had my giant sailfin covered in ich and 7 days of heavy feeding and it was gone. Same for my 4 other tangs, a foxface, a copperband, and about 10 other fish.

I have been able to eliminate ich off of fish by keeping them fed with garlic so yes the fish were good to go but it can come back. If you want to eliminate it from the tank hypo is your best best, plus you get to burst those little suckers lol.dribble.gif If you do not have a refractometer RCA has been carrying them. Even if you do not want to go the hypo route it is just a good idea to have a refractometer.

Yes i have a refractometer and as of right now he's the only living thing in my tank. I had thought about that already doing the hypo thats why i removed about 2.5 gallons of salt water last night, replaced with RODI and it dropped a few points in salinity. So i'm going to do the same thing over a couple of nights and bring it down to the 1.09 slowly. As of thursday i've been soaking the seaweed in fresh garlic and giving him a few bits of raw garlic to munch on. He seems to like it. Really weird how he seems totally fine but has the ich. I've had ich in the past and the fish have all seem sick but not this big boy....

Archived