Hello total saltwater newbie here.

crownpoolskenny

Welcome! You certainly have picked a challenge! Pretty good group of people here. I would encourage you to get a copy of Delbeek and Sprung's "The Reef Aquarium" Vol III (it's available on ibook now). They discuss the most common filtering methodologies from the simple pumpless, sumpless and skimmerless systems by Lee Chin Eng and Dr. Jaubert to the very complex "Mesocosm" by Dr. Adey.

Welcome wave.gif

I did the same thing with my 180g thirteen years ago. I love my SW tank 10x more than I ever did my FW tank. Success in this hobby leads to a great deal of satisfaction. However, I will say it takes a great deal more effort and equipment to maintain a reef than it does a FOWLR or FO tank. The lights alone on a 135g will set you back $200-1000, depending on if you want to keep hard corals. You'll also have to make the choice of T-5's, MH or LEDs. I recommend drilling your tank and adding a sump. When I first converted I didn't use a sump and later moved to an overflow system. Trust me and save the headache by having the tank drilled right the first time. I also think a skimmer is essential equipment, but I wouldn't ask for opinions because some people get crazy when the subject comes up. Fair warning.

Above all, have fun and good luck!

There's quite a few folks here that made the switch from cichlids...myself included. Google, this site and its members will become your best friends. Definitely ask questions!!

As an aside, if I could start all over, I'd start with dry rock. My live rock brought in fireworms and a polyclad flatworm... Suck. Other than that, your first equipment purchase should be a refractometer (the $40 one that you drop water on). I was using the little plastic one with an arm for awhile and when I went to "real" refractometer, discovered my salinity was at 1.33.

Be sure to check out http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/21658-cheap-tricks/ - in a hobby that is costly, this will help a lot.

There's quite a few folks here that made the switch from cichlids...myself included. Google, this site and its members will become your best friends. Definitely ask questions!!

As an aside, if I could start all over, I'd start with dry rock. My live rock brought in fireworms and a polyclad flatworm... Suck. Other than that, your first equipment purchase should be a refractometer (the $40 one that you drop water on). I was using the little plastic one with an arm for awhile and when I went to "real" refractometer, discovered my salinity was at 1.33.

Be sure to check out http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/21658-cheap-tricks/ - in a hobby that is costly, this will help a lot.

Thanks for posting that link to the other forum, I did not know it existed, I just found some good information.

I agree with the dry rock. I did that on this build and no critters. You will over time get the good critters in your tank not too mention you can add them when you want.

I saw a thread the other day with someone either wanting to sell or buy a mag 24. I didn't pay much attention it as I amn't looking to buy or sell one.

Yeah that was my post. I ordered one offline. Should have it in a few days.
Oh, ha. So not helpful on several fronts then :).

Archived