What's going on?

julespinkyd

Ok so I started my 10G nano here at my office around 6 months ago. I had heard that maintaining the balance on smaller tanks was harder than larger tanks. Here is a pic of my 10g. I also have a 90G at home and the colors aren't so great and some of my zoas, montiporas, and a couple of sps frags that we're dying in that tank seem to be coming to life here. I have even seen the last head of sun coral out this morning eating. I am not sure what is going on. Even though I think that my little tank is over stocked, it seems that the more I bring from home, the better it does in this tank. Makes me want to tear down my 90 and just keep what I want. Any info, two cents, suggestions would be great.

post-977-0-73753000-1391786043_thumb.jpg

post-977-0-00546400-1391786068_thumb.jpg

Edited by julespinkyd

I try and keep them both to once every two weeks water changes. One thing that is different is that I have a small LED setup on my office tank and two 250W 14K metal halides on my 90. Another thing that I have been thinking is that I have not seen my sea hare in a few days. I am wondering if he may have passes away in the 90. You are right.... Too many variables, my 90 has been up for about 7 years...

Looking at my little 10g I have just notice Sponge over taking my zoas in this one area. Does anyone know what eats this Sponge.

Pencil urchin, various nudibranchs

Would you happen to know where I can get some nudis? I like those things but never thought I would have anything to feed them.

I would go the pencil urchin route. I know aquadome still has some. I'm dealing with an evil yellow sponge and the one I got from them is slowly eating it.

Nudi's have extremely specific diets and finding one that will eat your exact species of sponge might be impossible.

You could also try a dwarf angelfish like a cherub temporarily and see if it likes this particular sponge. Obviously not suitable for long term in that tank size.