Got pods?

nvrEnuf

So, I see a lot of complaints on the net about keeping pod eating fsh and the food upkeep required -line wrasse, dragonette, etc. This just baffles me!

I have been buying mixed pod bags from (I'll refrain, and in the future be purchasing pod rotifers bags from Mr Cobb) since my first tank. Ok, that wasn't very long ago, but that doesn't change my point!

From what little I know-pods are THE essential food source on a reef. ANY reef!

Since we run closed systems (duh!) we have to suppliment our pod population, run a "low" population tank, or feed heavily (or some combination of the above). Note here that when I say feed heavily that can include but is not limited to spot feeding of corals as well as running an otherwise nutrient heavy system.

SOOO, assuming (***-u-me) the above is true, why is supplimenting pods such an issue?????

1. it isn't any more expensive calorie pre dollar than any other food source

2. it doesn't add to dead load in the system,

3. there is a potential for a "balance" to be struck where no future suppliments are needed

4. it's pretty much the most protien and amino acid packed food source out there

5. Softies, LPS, and SPS all benifit

6. I can feed and forget for a weekend at a minimum

7. I could go on but I know you know all the reasons

What I am missing? Why does spending $10-25 a month on pods seam like such a big deal in the online side of this hobby? That's only a small percent of my monthly cost to run my system; yet it seems to have the most potential positive short term impact! (ya, dosing and carbon could be argued, but don't be an sss).

Maybe I am just being too sensitive but dangit stop complaining about the cost of pods! Either pay attention to them while you're in the first stages of your tank or be prepared to spend some cash later if you want a truely thriving tank (or am I wrong!?!).

• Like 1

You would be hard pressed to prove #1.

The bottom of the food chain needs to be set up in the beginning, before introduction of higher predators. I was amused and amazed with the interaction between fresh water mollies and large Tigger Pods. While cycling a 55G macro lagoon, I used a tumble culture of Red Ogo that was crawling with abundant pods. One week later I introduced 20 assorted mollies to this macro tumble culture. At week two, I removed the macro and introduced live rock. A few days later, while observing the tank with lights on, I noticed abundant pods feeding in the open with the mollies. One year later, the pods are still in the food chain.

Patrick

• Like 1

I may be missing why it's so difficult to keep a high population of pods since I've not been doing it long, but I have a six-line and a mandarin and seem to have plenty of pods as far as I can tell. Every time I clean out my filter sock there's 40 - 5o pods in there that I rescue and dump back in the DT. I seeded the fuge about 2 months before I got the mandarin and keep pod condos that I swap from fuge to DT about once a week. I also just started running a small upflow algae scrubber to boost the pod population growth. I guess when I starting seeing a decline in the number of pods in the filter sock I'll start being concerned that my two predators are not eating well.

The mandarins eat about 1 pod every 10 seconds. It will deplete it fast in most systems.

The pods you are seeing are probably amphipods, which the mandarin does not eat as they are too big. Your sixline will probably eat them though.

Hopefully the small algae scrubber in the fuge will keep population up as I've read it should. I'll also make a point of adding a bag of pods every month or so. Is there a scientific way to determine a tanks pod population?

When adding a bag a Reef Pods to a fuge, should you turn all water flow and let them settle in so they don't get immediately swept to the DT?

I don't. I just put the filter floss in the fuge and let them come out as they please

What I am missing? Why does spending $10-25 a month on pods seam like such a big deal in the online side of this hobby? That's only a small percent of my monthly cost to run my system; yet it seems to have the most potential positive short term impact! (ya, dosing and carbon could be argued, but don't be an sss).

My 150g, with a 40g sump, skimmer, return pump, two circ pumps, T-5's running 10 hours a day and my refugium running 14 hours a day costs $27.99 per month to run. Assuming a $10 per month price on fish food, that is a 36% increase in cost.

Not everyone has a refugium or sump that the pods can safely go into. The minimum tank size for a Mandarin on liveaquaria.com is 30g, but we all know that any decent sized fish would tear through the population of a 30g within a week. IMO those that know the requirements of such fish just don't want to deal with the hassle of buying the pods and farming your own is probably confusing. They may also underestimate the amount of food that the fish needs to survive.

So, I see a lot of complaints on the net about keeping pod eating fsh and the food upkeep required -line wrasse, dragonette, etc. This just baffles me!

This should read Dragonete or Cleaner Wrasse. All other wrasses will eat mysis, prepared foods, or flake/pellet foods.

I would say at least 80-100 pounds of live rock to keep it alive long-term. Having no other competitors for the pods is critical as well.

I agree with Ty. If you're going to keep a Dragonet, then I would not add any competition. That would mean no wrasses, dottybacks, gobies, or dartfish. Clownfish, dwarf angels, cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp and all crabs also eat pods, but I believe these species get more of their nutrition from feedings than hunting in our systems.

All this conversation about pods.....makes me wonder if I should have waited to get Mr mandarin. But since I have been in this hobby I go against the grain....with the grain etc. I think though my husbandry is great so I am willing to do what it will take to keep him feed. I have a 30 gallon with about 30 lbs of live rock that has been around since 2011. So I'll have to keep an eye out and see. All this pod talk is giving me a little hope....