Need help - id this macro

ceastman

This macro is growing on the live rock that came from Florida. Most of the herbivores I currently have seem to prefer the other green vegetables that are in the tank.

If I can id it then I can see if I need a different herbivore or something else:

post-3417-0-80231200-1391473140_thumb.jp

From your picture, it looks as if the cup is concave. Also, the stems look to be small diameter. Thus Acetabularia.

Caulerpa Paltata grows more compact and is slightly convex. The stems are thicker. Not much eats Paltata and it is a fast grower. If its Paltata, I'll take some off your hands.

Patrick

PS. I did not see the above post with picture. The picture is better ascetically, but it does not help with identification.

I've had it before and it's not what I consider invasive or at least it's very easy to syphon out. I have no idea if it's an Acetabularia spp. but the "cups" never get more than a 1/4" across and may have as many as 5 or 6 "cups" linked together on a central stalk I'm certain it's not Calurpa paltata even with the visible runner it has like the calurpas.

it's pretty. i'd eat some for you. bring it home and let it marinate for a few years....it looks tasty. smile.png

for what it's worth, aquadome has a fake plant in of mermaids cup (i think that's what hunter called it). he described it sort of like timfish did with the multiple rings on each stalk. he said he gets it occasonal on GOM stuff and that he can't keep it alive. shrug

I am still amazed how good cell phones take pictures....

You're lucky. My cellphone takes pictures somewhere between "I think I need to add some foil to the antenna" and "Ahhh! Aliens are attempting to make contact through my aquarium!"

Archived