Bad bug?

ckyuv

So about 2 weeks ago I came home and most my sps were dead out of the blue. Zoas, acans and feather duster were fine. Didn't do to much to check the tank or anything I just turned my lights down. Today I came home and the rest of my sps were dead. Only thing left was my red dragon frag. The red dragon is supposed to be real finicky to water conditions so this seems odd. As I was pulling out all my skeletons today I noticed they all have little black spots all over them and the red dragon did too just in the dead area. I tried to get the best pics I could, any idea of these are what killed all my sps? Water params are normal I even had them tested at RCA today.

post-2461-0-61206100-1390276218_thumb.jp

post-2461-0-87606900-1390276249_thumb.jp

post-2461-0-40307000-1390276282_thumb.jp

There are black bugs, the treatment for them is the same as red bugs. Three treatments of Interceptor or Sentinel should clear the problem up. I really can't say for sure if that's what is in the pictures or not, but that would be my first guess.

Never even heard of black bugs but I would imagine interceptor would probably take care of it like CaptJab mentioned.

If you are able, maybe take all the SPS out and dip them all in Bayer and put them in a QT tank for a month or so and hopefully the black bugs will die off in the main tank. Perhaps continue to dip the sps weekly from that point while in QT.

Sorry about the loss bud. You know where to get more SPS when you are ready. :-)

Does anyone know where to get interceptor? I've called a few vets and they all say Its prescription and they can't just sell it pretty much.

Please keep in mind that it is illegal to exchange items requiring prescriptions.

Just use Sentinel, it has the same active ingredient in it as Interceptor. Your local veterinarian will probably sell you some. You can google Sentinel for Red Bugs and print an article or two out to share with him in case there are any questions. You should use the same dosage as interceptor for in tank treatments. Just remove your crabs and shrimp before the treatment and turn the air off to your skimmer and no GAC for 12hrs after dosing the meds.

Edited by CaptJab

I ended up using interceptor spectrum today around 3. It is the same as regular interceptor but has praziquantel in it as well. When I looked up praziquantel I see people use it to de bug fish and or fill flatworms so it seems better than regular interceptor (not made anymore). I can give an update tomorrow when I add carbon and do a water change but it's been 3 hours and the bugs are getting slimey and falling off, my corals are still dead and my fish seem fine. I have one purple acro that didn't get eaten and it looks fine. Only thing I've noticed is a hermit is bottom up

• Like 1

Did my water change and added carbon everything seems fine. I lost one hermit but my feather duster and snails are all fine I'm pretty sure. Time to add more corals before I treat the tank again next week! My water seems a heck of a lot more clear too, not sure if that's a result of the interceptor or using carbon for the first time ever lol