Lights on Timer vs Not on Timer

Manny

The reason I even have a question regarding this is because I do not have the best lighting system in the world. I have two T-5 light bulbs and two switches on the unit but only outlet plug. Because of this, I cannot stagger the daylight bulb with the actinic. What I have been doing is manually turning them on and off and that way I can stagger them. My actinics go on at 0900 and my daylights at 1000. The daylights turn off at 1800 and my actinics at 1900. SInce this is me doing it manually and sometimes depending on my wife to do it because of my class schedule, there are times where it can be delayed from 45 minutes to an hour. Not usually though. So my question is, would it be better if I keep doing what I am doing and that way the lights are staggered or put it on the timer to where it is consistent everyday but both lights would come on and off at the exact same time? I would imagine it to be better if I turn them on and off but I also know that consistency is very important in the hobby. Ideally the answer I would want would be to purchase the Kessel 360 but if you are going to recommend that, please provide the capital to purchase it with :) Thanks in advance.

I have tanks that do not have any stagering of the different fixtutres, all on/all off. Some animals will not care with the current modus operandi, some will do better with consistancy. My vote is make it simple for yourself and put them both on one timer if you don't have space for a second timer.

• Like 1

That is the issue, a second timer wont help. There is only one power supply for the light unit. So in order to stagger them I have to manually do it. If I put them on a timer they will both have to turn on and off at the same time.