PO4 Reading of RO/DI water

FarmerTy

All you Hanna meter users, has anybody else tested their RO/DI water for PO4 levels? Was just asking out of curiosity since I measured mine today and it was at 0.06 ppm.

I know my filters are due so I'll end up switching them out soon but just asking out of curiosity.

Depends on the amount of agriculture in the watersheds of those lakes, in addition to how much was received during the fertilizing season. I'd guess that the lake sources, even with treatment, would have a higher dissolved PO4 reading than a well based water utility (assuming it wasn't in an agricultural area and was properly installed).

Depends on the amount of agriculture in the watersheds of those lakes, in addition to how much was received during the fertilizing season. I'd guess that the lake sources, even with treatment, would have a higher dissolved PO4 reading than a well based water utility (assuming it wasn't in an agricultural area and was properly installed).

I am curious what others are getting but considering the two samples I tested were both from Lake Austin just from two different water utilities (Aqua Texas, Rivercrest water system and Austin Utilities) treatment can obviously mediate phosphates in the source. I also know many communities are served by wells like Moreland and Shady Hollow water systems and was wondering if anybody else is testing their water supply?

Sorry! If it helps the phosphate readings out of the RO/DI unit in Westlake is undetectable as well as out of my RO unit in N. Austin. (I usually don't worry about phosphates but you piqued my curiosity so it's your fault! grin.png )

I use the Elos hi res, lowest detectable color is .024 ppm then 0 ppm (there have been a couple of times when I could detect a slight difference in color of a sample between 0 and .024 references). The Westlake tap water sample was indecernable from the 0 ppm reference color. The tap water sample from N. Austin looked to be aproxamately halfway between the .18ppm and .25ppm reference color and the RO sample was indercernable from the 0 ppm reference.

I would like to see if there's changes as the year goes on. When I was doing the discus thing, I would get recurring algae outbreaks that would directly correlate with silica levels. Wasn't testing PO4 at the time, but wouldn't be surprised if it changes throughout the year as well.

Do any of the LFS in the area test for phosphates? I've never done a phosphate test on my tank or my RODI. My filters are very old but I'm still getting 0 tds but i realize I could still have phosphates with 0 tds simply by resolution inaccuracies of the tds meter.

Archived