Sick Fish - How to treat?

TheKipf

Hey guys,

I just recently bought a Coral Beauty from RCA. Unfortunately it seems to have developed the same illness / condition that the other Coral Beauty at the store had in RCA's quarantine tank.

I believe it's bacterial - here's the symtoms

1) Large white growths around the Pectoral fins and around the gills. These are round in shape and dot the fish around the gills and along the fins. These are actual growths and not just spots of discoloration.

2) One eye is hazy and swollen

3) The lips on the fish are white and swollen. This is more prominent on the side of the lips near the swollen eye / white growths.

I'm thinking the growths are a bacterial infection or virus infection. I'm guess because they developed near the eye/gills - it also caused the fish to develop pop-eye - which is what caused the haziness and swolleness of the eye.

Is there anything I can do to treat? Unfortunately I haven't gotten a QT set up - and I have other corals and inverts in the tank. I'm thinking about feeding with garlic (I heard it boosts the immune system) and see if the fish can't fight it off. I'm just afraid if I don't do something more drastic then the fish will either die or that eye will become blind.

Another option I was considering was bringing the fish back to RCA to see if they can't quarantine her in their tanks.

I guess it's a good lesson in 1) not buying stock immediately as it came into the LFS (they had just gotten the shipment in when I purchased the fish last week), and 2) carefully inspecting the fish before you buy it - even considering the shape their ship-mates were in

Any ideas? Options?

Thanks,

TheKipf

How do the white growths compare to itch?

If you can catch the fish without inducing too much stress to everybody else, I would bring it back to store.

If the white growths are itch, it is in your tank. You should consider your tank quarantined. Continue with garlic and vitamins c. Use Prime to promote slime coat and reduce stress.

You should run 15W-25W of UV sterilization for 30 days minimum.

Patrick

It doesn't really look like Ich to me. Typically when I've seen ich - it's been smaller white dots all over the fish's body. This seems to be a few larger ones - and only focused around the gills/pectoral fin area.

Still though - thanks for the Vitamin C / Prime idea - I'll pick some up and use that the next few days.

i agree with subsea on trying to take it back to the store. i also would consider UV whether it is ich or not (and whether you take the fish back or not). i had a mystery thing killing off a FW tank. even leaving the tank empty for a month at time didn't solve it. on the last round, it showed up again on one fish. adding a UV sterilizer seemed to help without any loss of fish. no problems in 6+ months.

If you know what itch looks like, don't take the picture for my sake.

Patrick

PS. Your signature shows 48" T5 bulbs. Six at 18W each. Is it not 54W?

Oops - I just updated that. I was looking at the specs for the 6 bulb 24 inch model. You are right - 6x54w

Are you sure those aren't parasites? In the past, I have tried to keep 3 coral beauties. They all died from parasites that they had at the time I had purchased them. This was before I knew about dipping the fish for parasite control. Seems like they come in with them frequently. Pictures will help, though. You could try a freshwater dip or dose with PraziPro. Or, just take it back to the store.

I agree with prettyfishy. It sounds like it could be Monogenean parasites (flukes/flatworms), which appear as "white growths" but are actually external parasites, most commonly around the gill areas.

"Fishes infested with monogeneans may become lethargic, swim near the surface, have clamped fins, seek the corners of aquaria or the sides of the pond, and have diminished appetite. They may be seen rubbing the bottom or sides (flashing) of the tank. Scale loss may occur where the monogeneans are attached, and the skin may vary in color where the parasites have fed. Heavy gill infestations result in respiratory disease (Figure 8). Gills may be swollen and pale, respiration rate may be increased, and fish will be less tolerant of low-oxygen conditions. Piping (gulping air at the water surface) may be observed in fish in severe respiratory distress. Large numbers of monogeneans on either the skin or gills may result in significant damage and mortality. Secondary infections with bacteria and water molds are common on tissue that has been damaged by monogeneans. In marine fishes, the capsalid monogeneans may infest the skin, eyes, and gills, resulting in extreme irritation to the host. Gray patches and open wounds may appear on the skin (Figure 9), and the eyes may be swollen and appear cloudy. "

Good article on it here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa033

post-2155-0-29639000-1388688855.jpg

I agree with prettyfishy. It sounds like it could be Monogenean parasites (flukes/flatworms), which appear as "white growths" but are actually external parasites, most commonly around the gill areas.

"Fishes infested with monogeneans may become lethargic, swim near the surface, have clamped fins, seek the corners of aquaria or the sides of the pond, and have diminished appetite. They may be seen rubbing the bottom or sides (flashing) of the tank. Scale loss may occur where the monogeneans are attached, and the skin may vary in color where the parasites have fed. Heavy gill infestations result in respiratory disease (Figure 8). Gills may be swollen and pale, respiration rate may be increased, and fish will be less tolerant of low-oxygen conditions. Piping (gulping air at the water surface) may be observed in fish in severe respiratory distress. Large numbers of monogeneans on either the skin or gills may result in significant damage and mortality. Secondary infections with bacteria and water molds are common on tissue that has been damaged by monogeneans. In marine fishes, the capsalid monogeneans may infest the skin, eyes, and gills, resulting in extreme irritation to the host. Gray patches and open wounds may appear on the skin (Figure 9), and the eyes may be swollen and appear cloudy. "

Good article on it here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa033

That really does look like it :/

Sadly though - she didn't make it through the morning. But good to know still. Wish I would have had time to attempt a fresh-water dip.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Archived