pH and ambient outdoor temperature

victoly

more or less a guess, but high pressure may increase gas exchange. the air is effectively pushing on the water harder so more air gets in when the water is agitated. like a low pressure day is people leaving the office at quiting time. high pressure day would be people leaving the office during a fire.

that said, storms are lower barometric pressure, not higher.

but with our relatively small changes in barometric pressure, i'm not sure this would have a measurable effect (this is a hunch built on a premise that may or may not be true).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

I was just going to suggest adding an air filter to your protein skimmer air intake. We use canister filters in our ambient air monitoring stations to hook up to our criteria pollution analyzers and calibrators. I have air filter canisters on the back of my air source I use to audit said analyzers to create "zero air" to run through the analyzers to see where their baseline is in case they need to be re-calibrated. Annnnnywaaay, I use a combination of puracol, purafil, and drierite (Although drierite would be pretty useless in this application). What filter media do you have in that canister?? And what analyzer did you use to monitor the CO2 levels in your house? I can get a Teledyne API CO2 analyzer to continuously monitor the levels in your house! cool.png

I would think that the AC not turning on is the root cause of the spiked CO2 levels and therefore the lower pH levels. When the AC turns on it puts your house under positive pressure and forces air out of the cracks and leaks in the house, which then draws in ambient air replacing some of the CO2. Also, if your heater came on for the first time during the cool weather, I would think the burning of gas in the heater would put higher levels of CO2 in your house, plus the build up of dust in the ducts since last winter would be burned the first time your heater came on, releasing even more CO2 into the internal atmosphere of your home. That would help explain an even larger spike in CO2 than normal.

My results were not as sexy.

My DIY CO2 scrubber

2013-11-20225540_zps801c53e3.jpg

Results

phreadings_zps4d0a0a7b.jpg

Last peak on the 21st was when the CO2 scrubber was added. The two peaks before that were from when I opened all doors and windows and left them that way for the day. Days before that were justn normal days of low pH. Nothing juicy or exciting here. I guess we don't breathe as much in our house as much as Victoly does. poke.gif

I'll let it run for the week but I knew going in it might not have as much of an effect on my house since it's an older house (meaning leaky) and much of my pH suppression going on in my tank is from the CaRX.

Now to address the CaRX output and minimize the CO2 being added to my system through that setup. thumbsdown.gif

Adding the 2nd chamber and also rerouting the effluent to the skimmer section are the two options I was going to try. I'm sure there is some tweaking I could do to run my reactor more efficiently without just dumping tons of CO2 in it but I hadn't had a chance to experiment with that yet. I currently run at 6.35 pH for the effluent of the reactor which is super low compared to most. But it gets me my perfect 7.6 dKh so hard to argue with result.

I take it back. Before opening windows and running CO2 scrubber, pH maximum was at most, 7.80. Today it hit 7.96... color me impressed.

Combine that with running a 2nd chamber for the CaRX soon and I might be able to achieve 8.20-8.30 perhaps.

Archived