Refractometer

jsr

Hey everyone. I am looking to get a refractometer and wanted some advise. There is a wide range in price ($20 e-Bay special to over $100) and wanted to see what everyone else uses and if it's worth the money to go expensive. I am using a hydrometer now, and have confirmed with a few LFS's the readings. So my question is this...what advantage do I have buying an $100+ meter verses a cheaper one? Anyone have a good recomendation? I was looking at the cheaper one on Drs. Foster/Smith.

James

I have used the $89 version and the $39 version and I don't see the advantage to be honest. All the refractometers I have used or seen are only as accurate as your eyeballs which for me is about 1 ppt. I would say the biggest difference is the build quality. The more expensive versions use better materials. I don't think they read much more accurate, they just feel and look like better gear. The bottom of the price range is usually all plastic. I would go with the $49 Captive Purity version from Marine Depot if I had to get another one. It is one of the tools you don't use often, but when you do it is nice to be sure you are getting an accurate reading.

one reason why i like the refractometer is because you don't need much water to get a reading. just a couple of drops. this is really, really, helpful when it's not easy to fill the whole thing (i.e. hydrometer) with the water. and btw, i bought mine on ebay for like $24 including shipping. it works GREAT. SO much better than the hydrometer, IMHO.

Pefrect! Thanks everyone. I will order one this weekend. I wonder why the LFS's use the hydrometers and not a refractometer? I guess when you test 30 water samples a day the hydrometer is a little easier. Anyway, thanks for everyones comments.

I don't know why a LFS would use a hydrometer. That is just asking for problems IMO. Most LFS's have banks or tanks sharing a single sump, so it is not like they have to do a ton of readings. Anyway a refractor is a good investment. ;)

Hey everyone. I am looking to get a refractometer and wanted some advise. There is a wide range in price ($20 e-Bay special to over $100) and wanted to see what everyone else uses and if it's worth the money to go expensive. I am using a hydrometer now, and have confirmed with a few LFS's the readings. So my question is this...what advantage do I have buying an $100+ meter verses a cheaper one? Anyone have a good recomendation? I was looking at the cheaper one on Drs. Foster/Smith.

James

James - we have been using a Milwaukee Model "MR100ATC" (see specs at www.milwaukeetesters.com)

for the last - uh... I guess it's about 4 years old now.

We only paid $79 for it back about 4 yrs ago.

No problems with it yet.

We do clean the prism lense on it with R/O after each use. We just calibrate it to zero with R/O

(there's a tiny adjustment screw and screwdriver comes with it).

The housing appears to be all metal - but encased in rubber (nice grip) and the eyepiece turns like that of a monocular

to get the scale "in focus" (for different people's vision). -So you don't need glasses to read it.

comes in a nice vinyl case, but for the price I guess I couldn't expect leather case eh ?

It is a more accurate instrument to measure SG/salinaty versus a swing arm. I currently use a swing arm and have developed an XL spreadsheet to recaluate reading based on temperature of the tank.

I'll be ordering one today.

Here is a link to the Milwaukee Model "MR100ATC. $660.00 + $10.95 shipping.

Refractometer

Dave-

Edited by dapettit

so i looked up what a refractometer is but why do you use them? maybe i just dont understand, or its a stupid question, Sorry if so.

Not a stupid question ... I was a die hard Hydrometer fan before...

Besides being temperature independent, they are ultra-easy to use. No fussing with bubbles on the swing arm. Few drops of water on the lens, close the cover, and look through the view-hole and you can see your reading.

so i looked up what a refractometer is but why do you use them? maybe i just dont understand, or its a stupid question, Sorry if so.

refractometer == quickest/simplest way to get accurate measure of salt level of your sea water.

you are mixing man-made salt to create salt water, so you want an accurate tool to make sure you mix the proper/consistent sea water every time. that is the use

Edited by bananags

thank guys n gals. I got on marine depots website and im thinking of buying one, I dont have any salinity problms. its always at 1.024. the temp stays at 78-79 degrees and the air temp in the house is around 75 degrees. will it benefit any to have one?