Mixing saltwater

ckyuv

Ok so I've been buying my water from Aquadome for a while but recently decided to start making my own. I've been filling the 5g jugs and adding 2.5 cups of Red Sea pro. Even if I shake it up a few times a day for multiple days the water gets super cloudy In my tank when I add it. Am I missing a step lol?

Nope, I use Instant Ocean and I don't bother shaking or stirring it if it sits a few days but I can't see anything wrong with what you're doing. Is your system new and did you use dry sand, is it possible you're just stirring up particulate matter in your sand?

There is no sand in the tank at all. I siphon off the detritus from the bare bottom and dump the salt water in and it looks like super fine dusty water. Maby ill try leaving a pump in it

Red Sea Pro always used to mix up cloudy for me. It also leaves a white film on all the equipment. It was never a problem for me... even with full livestock in the tank. Just make sure your salinity is on par and leave it for a day and you should be fine.

I mix my salts in jugs as well. Ive done instant ocean, coralife, and rscp and never had cloudy water. I usually let it sit overnight with a koralia nano in there to help mix. There are only a handful of pumps small enough to get through the 5gal opening unfortunately.

Day before...

5 gal bucket filled with RODI water

Drop in power head and turn on

Add salt

Put on lid

Wait about 3 hours (or later in the day, whenever its done mixing basically)

Check salinity

If its spot on, I turn off the power head and leave it for water change, if not i adjust as needed

Day of water change...

Run powwrhead for 10 minutes

Double check salinity. Good to go

I found running the powwrhead for a full day to mix it increased the temperature by too much and for some reason when my mixing water gets hot it precipitates out ALOT of film. Doesn't happen when it stays cool.

Btw I use reef crystals not RSCP, but that Shouldn't make much difference

Always mix in a Brute can. I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals so I cannot comment about other salts but IORC is cloudy right at first then clears up after mixing for a few hours.

I add salt, add water, drop in my powerhead, and let run for a few hours. I check to to make sure there aren't any dead zones in the bottom and maybe give it a stir or move the powerhead. Then I let it run for at least over night. Test,adjust and run for about an hour before testing again if I had to adjust.

Never tried shaking, that seemed like too much work. If space is a limiting factor, I wouldn't hesitate to use a 5g bucket for this method instead of the trashcan. I'd probably use a different powerhead than my usual one though.

Archived