LED light recommendation?!?

rockstarwiggle

So I am planning to go to the next level of LED lights or upgrade. Over my 30 gallon cube. I am currently running par 38 (The fixture has a total of (12) 3 Watt LEDs made up of 6 royal blue, 3 cool whites, 1 green, 1 red, and 1 420 nanometer LED, for a combined wavelength of approx. 14K to 16K by OCREEF.)

This is not a bad light at ALL and it gets good coverage, has good color (a little on the blue side) and grows it corals pretty good. i can get another par38 light with different color, but i want to invest in a little more if I am going to spend more.

There are soooooooooo many out there. i dont know them all. can anyone name some so that i can have a lead as to what to do some research on!?!?! I seen so many listed. If there is another topic similar then please point me in that direction.

I would suggest sticking w/ the PAR 38s and custom your color w/ whatever you need. If you are too blue then stay away from the blue and whiten it up a bit. Remember Red Blue Green makes white light

Im in the process of building some custom PAR 38s for my 75G. I currently have 50/50 blue / white bar lights X2 which I find a little on the white side. Grows coral just fine and pretty bright, but for supplimentation of color I am going w/ 2X 36 watt PAR w/ the following ratio UV-R-G-RB = 1-3-3-5 this should pop the color for me and soften the white.

Honestly, I would do a DIY if you're budget constrained. I did mine on my Pico for $72, which it is only 5 gallons, but I also only run the lights for 6 hours a day. You should easily be able to build a fixture for a 20 for $150 - $175.

Vega is a superior fixture in every way but is substantially more expensive. Hydra looks to be in between the sol and vega, I haven't read much on it though. All should be able to grow corals very well. If money is no factor then the vega would be the obvious choice. Otherwise, you should be able to grow pretty much anything in your tank with a sol or hydra as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived