Fluidized Bed: K1 Kaldness Media or Bio-Pellets?

chippwalters

Here's a neat video of a fluidized reactor using D1 Kaldness media:

and

From what I can figure out, the media in this system is never used up, and the bacteria processes ammonia and nitrites, thus reducing nitrates.

Bio-pellets are a different animal. They have a carbon source and the bacteria for these process nitrates and phosphates.

Does anyone know anything more about these (other than "they don't work" because I know they each can be made to work).

I'm interesting in knowing:

1. Am I correct in identifying how they work?
  2. Is one 'better' than the other?
  3. I read somewhere the K1 takes months to start to work. Is this true?
  4. How much media per gallon for each?
  5. If you claim both to be 'nitrate factories,' can you be more specific in why this is the case?
  6. Why would you use one vs the other?
  7. Would you use both at the same time?

It appears the K1 will never 'clump' as they are neutrally buoyant and very light in mass. I suspect they can also be better fluidized with less effort.

Any information about any of this is welcome!!!

Thanks.

1) Yes, mostly.

2) BPs will end up consuming virtually all the nitrate, Kaldness can end up leaving excess nitrate in the water.

3) Nah, it's a new take on an old school bio media. It;s very popular on large scale ponds.

4) No clue on this

5) Both are not nitrate factories. BPs can get you all the way to zero, in fact it can be harmful because of O2 depletion and total lack of nutrients.

6) Wouldn't use k1 in a reef, live rock achieves this function just fine. BPs are another story, many use them with success for ULNSs.

7) See 6.

1) Yes, mostly.

2) BPs will end up consuming virtually all the nitrate, Kaldness can end up leaving excess nitrate in the water.

3) Nah, it's a new take on an old school bio media. It;s very popular on large scale ponds.

4) No clue on this

5) Both are not nitrate factories. BPs can get you all the way to zero, in fact it can be harmful because of O2 depletion and total lack of nutrients.

6) Wouldn't use k1 in a reef, live rock achieves this function just fine. BPs are another story, many use them with success for ULNSs.

7) See 6.

I always thought you a snappy responder! Thanks.

I have been using BPs for 1.5 years now and am very happy with the results. I run a predominately SPS system with some zoas and even fewer LPS. One can of BPs lasts forever!!!

Sounds like they might chew up any nitrates which the LPS and softies might like? Anyone have thoughts on this?

I have been running BPs for 10 weeks now and am still trying to get my nutrient levels down. Although I don't run many SPS, I do load my tank with more fish than most reefs so I want to extract that extra bio load. I am still trying to dial my nutrients down though as I still have algae problems... I have heard very positive things about BPs so that is why I am trying them.