APEX / ATO w/Kalk

There is a longer story leading up to this, if you want to read it it is here.

The basics is, until I get a better pump for Kalk dosing (any dosing) I'm looking for an APEX program to better control the outlet controlling my ATO. This is that I have right now (thanks to a small tweak from victoly):

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Outlet SumpLow = ON Then ON
If Outlet SumpHigh = ON Then OFF
If pH > 08.39 Then OFF
Min Time 005:00 Then OFF

This work well, but my current aqualifter gets clogged and stays on trying to pull the kalk water up the tube but can't, it starts to heat up. If I turn it off for a while then back on it will work. My thinking is, as s sort term fix, have my APEX come on via the float switch like it is now, but only stay on for 5 minutes, even if the "SumpLow" switch is still on. Then keep it off for at least 5 minutes then let it run again. IF the outlet would be on due to the time switching, but the SumpLow outlet is off, then it would stay off, until the next test...

This is that I'm thinking about using, but I was hoping for some feedback. Your you APEX gurus does this look like it will do what I want? Any issues you see?

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
OSC 00:00/05:00/05:00 Then ON <-- Turn on for 5, then off for 5, unless any of the following three steps turn it off?
If Outlet SumpLow = OFF Then OFF
If Outlet SumpHigh = ON Then OFF
If pH > 08.39 Then OFF

This is a temporary solution until I get a peristaltic dosing pump.

Thanks in advance.

For over a year I had two 5g buckets filled with RODI, 10-12 tsp of Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime and ¼ cup of 5% white vinegar and an $8 Fountain Tech FT-70 pump from AutoTopoff.com. I'm still using that pump. When the bucket with the pump in it got low, I'd mix the KW in the other bucket, let it settle for at least a few hours, then move the pump over.

Because that pump has higher flow than typical dosing pumps, I had the Apex outlet for the ATO programmed as:

Fallback OFF

Set ON

If Switch1 OPEN Then OFF

If pHsump > 08.20 Then OFF

If pH2dt > 08.28 Then OFF

If pHsump < 07.40 Then OFF

Defer 000:05 Then OFF

That maintained pH around 8.3 in the DT. If I lowered the pH cutoffs or lengthened the deferral time, then the pH would spike really high (8.6 or higher), because there was a delay between the KW pumped in and the pH sensors detecting it. Even with the ATO pumping into the skimmer section of the sump right by the sump pH probe.

That worked really well, and I never had a failure with those components. If you want details on the amount of pickling lime and using vinegar to pack more lime into the water, see these:

What Your Grandmother Never Told You About Lime

"...three level teaspoons of solid lime per gallon of limewater, and 45 ml [9tsp] of vinegar per gallon of limewater."

A Simple DIY Kalk Dripper

All about kalkwasser

The Degradation of Limewater in Air

“Some aquarists add vinegar to their limewater in order to increase it potency...In terms of the degradation of limewater by atmospheric CO2, the addition of vinegar is not expected to have a big impact. The vinegar lowers the pH of the resulting solution, and the lower pH tends to decrease the driving force for CO2 to enter the solution, and for the CO2 in the solution to show up as carbonate (as opposed to bicarbonate at lower values of pH; bicarbonate is less of a concern from a degradation standpoint)...The use of very large amounts of vinegar, where the pH drops below about 11, would be expected to reduce the likelihood of precipitation of calcium carbonate. In no instance should vinegar make this problem worse.”

The vinegar also carbon doses, so that needs to be slowly introduced!

Yeah so far the pH is going from about 8.17 to 8.3 in the day, seems like a lot. Before the clogging was happening it was keeping between 8.25 and 8.3. I figured that 2-part was in my future if not a Ca reactor, but I was hoping to hold off on that a bit longer.

Yeah so far the pH is going from about 8.17 to 8.3 in the day, seems like a lot. Before the clogging was happening it was keeping between 8.25 and 8.3. I figured that 2-part was in my future if not a Ca reactor, but I was hoping to hold off on that a bit longer.

Yeah, your tank is considerably larger than mine, and you have a sump, so CaRx is a viable option as well. Theres a **** good one for sale in the classifieds here for $100.

Correct. You'd need a CO2 bottle, CO2 regulator, 2nd pH probe, potentially a feed pump (that peristaltic might do it, or a tee off of your return pump manifold) plus media. There is another pretty large full CO2 setup in the classifieds as well.

Archived