4x39w too much for zoa grow out?

esacjack

currently my zoa tank has t5 2x39 watts(ho), but seems rather dim, coloration is great, but I'm wondering if going with a 4x39w would increase growth as well as give me more color/bulb options. Or if its overkill for strictly zoas... tank depth is only 10 inches but have 3 feet of suspension options... Some of my research has shown that having more powerful lights hung from higher distances, provides growth and coloration.

I'm waiting for Sherita to chime in here but I think most zoas will do better with more light. There are going to be exceptions though so research the specific types you have or want. I also would suggest instead of getting more t5s getting leds that include UV. Buildmyled.com 14000K would be one possibility and you probably could get away with a 2' fixture as the light spread off the ends is much wider than the sides which is dictated by the lens angle.

nah, I have plenty of LED tanks, so far, the coloration varies. But with my t5 rig, the colors punch and the growth is much faster. I still think there are a lot of things that are misunderstood about LEDs. For example, with my Kessil, oranges, reds, and greens are outstanding! but purples/blues lack and eventually bleach out... With my DIY full spectrum fixtures, so far I've had great growth and coloration for everything except blue... I was thinking about getting a 2x39 retrofit kit and then using LED's to supplement (im a DIY'er these days, no so much into buying off the shelf.. )

nah, I have plenty of LED tanks, so far, the coloration varies. But with my t5 rig, the colors punch and the growth is much faster. I still think there are a lot of things that are misunderstood about LEDs. For example, with my Kessil, oranges, reds, and greens are outstanding! but purples/blues lack and eventually bleach out... With my DIY full spectrum fixtures, so far I've had great growth and coloration for everything except blue... I was thinking about getting a 2x39 retrofit kit and then using LED's to supplement (im a DIY'er these days, no so much into buying off the shelf.. )

The big time coral farmers agree with you. T-5's and especially MHs are what they use to do SPS farming. LPS/Zoa/Softy not so much.

Here I is :)

I run LED over my zoa tanks (yes, tanks........). Some zoas like more light, some hate it. Since one of my zoa tanks is 2' x 4' and the other is 2' x5' I run two led modules over each tank, which allows me to vary the amount of light that each side gets. Mine are set up so that the left side of the tank is lower light, I keep my chalices there too.

I was running MH/VHO on one tank and an 8 bulb T5 setup on the other tank. Since switching to these leds (reefbreeders value fixtures, LOVE THEM!!!) I have seen explosive growth on my zoas and palys, and my ho-hum non-growing hateful chalices that were just taking up room have gone nuts. So nuts that I am soon to have to remove some of them from the tank to prevent fighting. My zoas and palys are taking over the world, Growing onto each other, on the sand, on the side of the tank. I'm happy with the color, and real **** happy with the growth.

With all that out of the way, the bottom line is......some zoas will do better with more light, some will hate you for it. So, whatever you do, you need to allow for lower light areas for those delicate little zoas that despise light. If you don't, they will make you wish you had :)

I should also mention that my acans have gone bonkers under these lights as well, as have my torches, duncans, frogspawn and hammers.