Washed out Miami hurricane chalice

victoly

dave (dshep) had one that was problematic if I recall. His finally started to color up after some adjustments. I have two unknown chalice, one hates the sand, the other hates direct light... its fairly aggravating.

I am by no means a chalice expert but I have had two for six years and they are alive and healthy. But not grown an inch. When I changed to led they hated it. They are in complete shade. Mine would bleach like that when put in the light. I would start moving it around. Starting with shade. Then move accordingly.

Was just wondering if you implemented the new LEDs and what is the result? Do you like it?

I have. I like the look about 20% better :). More power, improved cooling, a little bit more on the red side of the spectrum looks great so far.

I am by no means a chalice expert but I have had two for six years and they are alive and healthy. But not grown an inch. When I changed to led they hated it. They are in complete shade. Mine would bleach like that when put in the light. I would start moving it around. Starting with shade. Then move accordingly.

That's what I'm doing first. I'm angling them so they're not perpendicular to the light and trying to find shady spots. Unfortunately I dont have too many.

I'm no expert. But I've owned one chalice in my time in the hobby. Had it for 6 months. It looked ok in my tank. Grew alright. Went from quarter sized to about 4" across in that time. Colors were eh. Kinda tan. Didn't pop. Had thick flesh and awesome sweepers. Recently traded it to someone running about half the light strength I am. 4 bulb t5ho vs 2 bulb t5ho(only blues). In his tank it's looking spectacular. Colors are deep dark and it pops like mad. After like a month. I guess they really like low light.

I get the best color out of my chalices under a frag rack with MH and T5. Seems like they don't like a lot of direct light and also like the bottom of the tank better. I also keep my mag at 1500-1600 and dkH higher around 10-11. Hope it helps.