BRS double carbon/gfo reactor

JCAB

Thinking of purchasing one of these but have limited sump space, so would have to run it outside of the sump. Currently run carbon in a filter bag that I place in the filter sock and was going to start adding phisguard in another bag. Is it worth moving to the dual reactor? My biggest concerns are space, overly complicating things with unnecessary equipment (especially if it can overflow) and cost. I appreciate all your feedback.

not really an emergency type question...

Reactor will get more flow across the media which can be good, it will also require another pump unless you have a manifold and that can add heat to your system. IMO if you have the space and want to do it, then do it. I prefer reactors over just passive.

also took victoly advise and running .08 and its amazing

Can you translate that to newb?

I think haze is talking about BRS ROX 0.8 carbon. It's the best in the biz IMO. as far as pumps go, i have a cobalt MJ1200 pushing both of mine no problem, although I dont run a ton of media for a 29 gallon tank.

I bought the BRS dual reactor with the included pump. I have it sitting on the floor next to the sump. It's just like the RO/DI unit with the containers that screw in so should be any chance of an overflow.

I use a cobalt MJ 600 on mine no throttling. I get light tumbling on the GFO and none on the carbon. I would probably opt for a MJ900 and just throttle it back slightly, but my spare 900 rattles like crazy when I restrict the flow at all. The 900 puts out almost the same flow as the 1200 at about half the wattage.

May be able to use the 1100 or 1400. I would think they're too much flow for it unless you throttle them a lot.

I would run a phosban reactor. You can pick them up off amazon for $40 and you can get tubing long enough to put them anywhere. They don't take too much space and can hang on the back of your sump or inside your sump.

I love my brs dual reactor. It will not take the place of water changes and detritus management, but if added to already good tank maintainance habits, it can really take you to that next step in water quality and phosphate management. If you're crafty, two used TLF phosban reactors connected to a manifold can be cheaper, but a cobalt 1200, ball valve, and dual reactor is about as simple and convenient as can be.