Fluval Edge Nano Reef

(Bio)³

I'm building a nano reef for my bedroom. I'll be using a Fluval Edge 6 gallon tank, currently the only mod it has is mr11 LED bulbs replacing the original halogen bulbs. I plan to either buy a new light for it or DIY something.

I'm thinking this tank will be a Zoa/Ricordia reef with no livestock except a small cuc (if that). I will be using dead rock and dead sand, and dipping any coral that goes into the tank. I might seed it with some pods if I feel like sieving them out of my other systems. Other than that I plan to have a minimalist scape and vacuum the sand 1/4-1/2 of the sand bed per water change that will happen every 2 weeks. I do not plan to really dose anything since I wont have a huge demand in the tank and the 90% water changes should allow trace elements to replenish.

If I decide I get bored with the tank I can always take one of my spare MP10esw and set it into the tank, sump it, and turn it into an SPS nano reef but I'd rather just have something simple and colorful.

If I do end up seeding the tank with pods from my larger system I will pull the filter guts and replace them with rock rubble to make a pod generator. I do not think I will have any macro in the system, each time I do put macro into a small tank it just gets messy in the end.

For now, the tank is set up and wiped down doing a leak test. (minor scratches to the canopy from the move and minor damage to the stand from the move but all will be easily repairable with a rattle can.)

qe8uzy3e.jpg

Do you think you will run into any rust issues? I almost did this with one I had but got turned away because others had mentioned the top rusting out.

I haven't heard that but ill coat it with clear coat when I repaint due to scratches

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Just ordered a dimmable LED retro fit for the tank. The seller uses a replacement top and builds it then ships it. (Easier to pay than DIY since I dont live in a tech city anymore.)

The driver uses pulses to dim and the dimming knobs are mounted through the top. So I plan to keep my original top and when I'm bored enough I'll buy an ardiuno and screen and mount it into the stand, move the new hood guts to the old hood and have it dim by controller instead of manual. I'll post pics when the new fixture arrives.

Now I'm looking into what filter mods I can do. I've seen some who utilize a canister filter in the back column that just barely fits, which might be the route I take so I can stuff it with GAC and GFO. Plus I like the idea because I can mount the return just barely under the water to eliminate noise. The current filter had to be unplugged last night because it was too annoying when trying to fall asleep.

I also plan to go by a FW LFS (no SW stores near me) and see if I can get some acceptable dry rock to place inside the tank. I decided that with this tank I'll use all dead rock and sand just to have a different experience. I'll use a table shrimp to cycle. I guess this means I might want to go buy a test kit to see if my stuff is cycling, or I could just wait 3 week and throw coral in to see how it does.

Ordered in a Zoo med 501 to place in the rear section of the Edge, hoping it works like everyone says it does. Going to stuff it with some Rox carbon and GFO on one side then rubble on the other.

Also, has anyone worked with the fauna marin lith and ultra bak/mins and such? Any info towards that? I was thinking about trying it all out on this tank and running it slightly ULNS while feeding the coral fauna marin zoa/ric food and also a few LPS pellets directly to the hammers/torches and fungia. Any info on that would be awesome if someone has some to share.

Looks Like I won't be getting the Fauna marin lith series. BRS doesnt carry the ULTRA bio which is part of the standard kit. Instead I am leaning to get http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/korallen-zucht-nano-power-package.html which should also be easier to dose into my tank if I understand both the fauna marin and the nano power pack correctly.

Has anyone used the nano power pack before?

New light, BRS order, and mini canister filter should all be arriving within the next week to really start the build. Going to do a coral rx follow by h202 followed by RODI as a dipping schedule for any and all coral that get added to the system.

Got the new light in and I wasn't happy enough with it for the money I spent so I sent it back and ordered an Aqua Illuminations Vega with a wireless controller. Also ordered a cone skimmer for the system and plan to grab a 10 gallon tank and turn it into a sump or use my old biocube sump.

Still hunting down a stand, been checking thrift shops and such for a cabinet that will work. The zoo med canister filter arrived and while it would work I changed plans and decided to make this a zeovit nano, hence the skimmer. I'll still use the canister filter possibly and stuff it full of GAC or maybe zeolith (need to see if its possible to run zeo stones in a reactor)

Still need to decide if I'm going to take the top off this tank and run it as a rimless, in which case I will drill the tank. Otherwise I will leave the top on and modify the top plastic lip to become an external overflow box which will help with evaporation issues, being a nano I'm thinking this is the best bet.

is that your new workshop?

Yeah thats the new to me workshop. It's located in a building off the beginning of the dock, I'll snap a picture of two tomorrow of it. I'll eventually start replacing the workbench and shelves that are currently in it. For now I just cleaned up the junk and tossed a window ac unit in one of the windows and started working. I haven't even unpacked anything fully for it, just the tools as I needed them.

Haha I'll over brace it most likely. Over building is a good thing when in air right planden?

there is a happy medium. too over built and it wont get into the air to crash smile.png. but for tank stands that don't need to fly, twice as strong is always better than almost strong enough.

my problem with stands, to go on a little tangent, is that wood "creeps" or permenently sags when constantly under load. i looked up and a southern pine 2X4 will sag an inch if loaded at half the breaking strength for a year. (numbers pulled from memory and may not be exact). i'm not used to cheap wood structures or constant loading in my line of work.

Just guessing on your dimensions your stress will be less than 5% of the breaking strength (again, testing memory). and that less than also is ignoring a bunch of the strengthening stuff (corner braces, plywood decking, etc). so, i don't think sag will be an issue for a while.

• Like 1

Added some brace support today to the stand. Next is filling the holes with wood filler, sanding,paint and seal. After that I'll start working on plywood to skin it.Posted Image

• Like 1

Yup that's it. It doesn't rack at all, I'll attach solid plywood to the whole back too and bottom plus shelf. I'm pretty sure it will be sokid at that point. Then I'll attach magnets to the front and sides to secure on the panels.

I've got to go get paint and some type of epoxy sealer tomorrow.

Decided to go back and fill the holes tonight, in 30 min I'll go sand it down.

• Like 1

Past few days I wasn't able to work on the stand. I had to play taxi driver and take my girlfriend to the doctors and hospital. Lucky for me the next appointment isn't until Tuesday, unlucky for her she has to be in pain until Tuesday when the referred doctor is back in his office.

I took a chance today to wipe the stand with a tack cloth and rattle can the frame. I still need to sand, tack, and apply a second coat. Only to sand, tack and apply sealer :D After that I will move onto skinning the exterior and adding in magnets (still need to order those). For the exterior I plan to use a brush/roller instead of a rattle can because I reminded myself tonight how terrible I am with a rattle can. I'll be able to live with the bad paint job on the frame since it will be hidden 99% of the time, but I'd end up way to annoyed if the exterior was like this. I'll let this dry and hopefully apply coat 2 before I go to bed tonight, allowing it a good dry time before starting on the minwax helmsman polyurethane application.

e7e4uzyt.jpg

That looks sweet. Looks like metal. Sorry about your gf. Hope it all works out. If you were here I could help her. My wife works at a dr office and 3 of my friends are surgeons.

Thanks :) I'm not too happy with it but I'm hoping after I sand and repaint it one more time I'll be able to live with it.

The gf will be fine in due time, my dad is actually an OB/GYN so he is keeping his eye on all her results and consulting with the doctors. It is now a waiting game for both the gf and my stand :D