Magnets

Grog

So,

I've heard of folks using magnets, rare earth?, to attach access panels to their stands instead of hinges. I like this concept. How are you attaching them?

Are these round? Are you using a spade bit to counter sink a hole the depth of the thickness of the magnets then gluing them in?

Just wondering what I should plan for. I'd like to have removable front and side access panels instead of hinged doors.

If anyone has pictures of successful uses like I've described, I'd much appreciate a post or link. smile.png

Thanks

I was going to use a plunge router adapter on my dremel and square magnets then seal it with epoxy. I had a metal stand but if I had wood I would attach a metal plate.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

I've never done it but plan too. I was going to do what you described. Use a paddle bit to sink the magnet then epoxy/ glue it down. I am gonna do rocks on mine. But waiting to see what our new house will have so I can match it. You got skills just try it and see what happens. I can tell you exactly what to do if you like to hear it a few times (like I do).

Use epoxy coated neodyne magnets.. I bought mine from magnets4less.com, fast shipping and great customer service. One time they messed up my order and let me keep $50 worth of magnets for free.

Going the route Tim suggested: Countersunk magnets on both side. Amazing Magnets seemed like a good choice. Ordered them a few minutes ago, and they have options for free swag (pens, etc.) This is going to be cool. Thanks for the tips!

You can use a forstner bit on a drill press to get a perfect hole.

Also, you will definitely need high quality magnets for this to work. I've purchased a bunch on ebay and from http://www.kjmagnetics.com/ in the past. As long as they're neodymium and from a trusted source they should be about the same.

To add, I'm in the process of doing this on a new stand. Going to use either 1/2 or 5/8 exterior grade plywood (marine grade is stupidly expensive) and 4 of these per panel, roughly 28# of pulling force. My panels are 18 x 36 and 24 x 36, so 28# should hold no problem without being difficult to remove. There's not much that sticks to these magnets as far as adhesives are concerned which is why I'm using the ones with screw holes in them. I've used the epoxy coated ones a bunch in the past and the coating is so brittle, that I wont use them anymore.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RA22CS-S&cat=173

• 4 weeks later...

Archived