150g Indio-Pacific Biome

Sascha D.

Week 40 update:

Dang has it been 40 weeks already? My stocking plan is nearly complete and I can't wait to see everything grow. I'd like to take a few posts to update my stocking list for everyone to see. As everyone knows, I've moved away from softies and into the SPS Zone! Also, with the update of the Leopard Wrasses I think my fish stocking is done. The PBT is so aggressive that I doubt I could get another tang into the tank anyway.

Fish

• Blue / Green Chromis - 9
  • Foxface One Spot
  • Powder Blue Tang
  • Oscellar Clownfish - 2
  • Leopared Wrasse - 2 (in QT)

Invertebrates

• Scarlet Cleaner Shrimp
  • Tiger Pistol Shrimp
  • GBTA
  • Tiger Sea Cucumber
  • Emerald Crab

SPS Corals

• Purple Digitata
  • Green Digitata
  • Forest Fire Digitata
  • Warpspeed Monti
  • Cali Tort
  • Oregon Tort
  • Hollywood Stunner Chalice
  • Tyree Strawberry Patch Monti
  • Tyree Flower Petal Monti
  • Paletti Blue Stag
  • ORA Ultimate Stag
  • Purple Stylophora
  • Paletti Turquoise Lovely
  • ORA Green Birdsnest
  • ORA Pocillopora Damicornis
  • Blue Acropora
  • Bird of Paradise Birdsnest
  • Red and Green Favite aka War Coral
  • Teal Favite aka Brain Coral
  • Purple Meridana (maybe?)
  • Red Setosa
  • Jedi Mind Trick Monti
  • Mystery Acropora (purple and green)
  • Mystery Chalice (I think Chris talked me into a dead coral!)

LPS Corals

• Marble Branching Hammer
  • Frogspawn (green purple tips)
  • Kryptonite Green Trumpet
  • Bubble Coral

Leathers

• Kenya Tree (thought I got rid of them, found two babies LOL!)
  • Devil's Hand

Mushrooms

• Blue Ricordia
  • Blue Striped Mushroom (Selling)

Polyps

• Yellow Polyps
  • Mohawk Paly
  • Green Starburst Polyp
  • Eye of Rah Zoa
  • Radioactive Dragoneye Zoa
  • Lemon Head Zoa
  • Watermellow Zoa
  • Fire and Ice Zoa
  • Red Head Kids Paly
  • Red Button Polyp (hitchhiker)
  • Mellow Yellow zoa
  • Joker Palys
  • Blow Pops Zoa
  • Mystery yellow zoa (orange center, yellow skirt)
  • Mystery Red Zoa (red on red)
  • Mystery Green Zoa (green on green)

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well nobody wants to hear me talk all day. Bring on the pictures!!

War Coral. I got this guy as a hitchhiker. What luck right!

post-2552-0-71087900-1397830882_thumb.jp

Mystery Acro. It's my favorite acro for sure.

post-2552-0-30688300-1397830893_thumb.jp

Mystery Zoa. My wife's favorite.

post-2552-0-35116400-1397830902_thumb.jp

Mellow Yellow Zoa

post-2552-0-60437200-1397830912_thumb.jp

PBT

post-2552-0-18019900-1397830926_thumb.jp

Foxface One Spot

post-2552-0-05434900-1397830934_thumb.jp

Cali Tort

post-2552-0-69096000-1397830940_thumb.jp

Forest Fire Digitata

post-2552-0-27998900-1397830954_thumb.jp

Paletti Turquoise Lovely. Check out that growth. I've had it about a month and it was near dead when I got it.

post-2552-0-53879500-1397831430_thumb.jp

post-2552-0-08936200-1397830966_thumb.jp

post-2552-0-36432900-1397830978_thumb.jp

That mystery zoa is an eagle eye and the mellow yellows I have seen called dragonflys as well. I'm glad you're enjoying the lovelli and the bonus war coral that came with it. My original colony was right next to my war coral colony so you lucked out! Haha.

That PBT is looking mighty fine sir!

FTS is amazing! The PBT may be a jerk, but he sure is pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah he's a booger. I let my wife pick out any fish that she wanted and she picked the PBT. I've had my fair share of tangs but never a PBT, so it worked out. Ty suggested I keep it as the only tang and I can see why. Anytime he tries to push around the foxface, those spines go up and that's the end of that. LOL!

Woot! Looking good sea gardener! You've amassed quite the collection of zoas/palys along with your sps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha I didn't realize I had so many until I started to record the names. It's funny how that works isn't it? They're all small frags now but I'm looking forward to the growth.

That mystery zoa is an eagle eye and the mellow yellows I have seen called dragonflys as well. I'm glad you're enjoying the lovelli and the bonus war coral that came with it. My original colony was right next to my war coral colony so you lucked out! Haha.

That PBT is looking mighty fine sir!

Thanks for the identification Ty. I'm starting to write down all of the names. I got those zoas from Reefs2go when I first set up the tank. They had a sale and I got them for $4 a frag. The problem is they just make up the names as they go and nobody else calls them that.

Did you sell the turquoise to Niko's? It looks like it might have been just a base when I got it. It was smooth, no polyps or indents. The war coral wasn't visible at all and is growing on the plug.

Yeah, the lovelli looks very similar to another coral I had already in the tank so I got rid of one of them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

It must be my fate to become your clone. Even when I buy something from the fish shop I end up with your sloppy seconds! Although, that coral must have had a hard life after it left your tank. One side was completely brown like it had been lying on it's side for a while.

Update on the Leopard Wrasses:

It took the first one four days to emerge from hiding. The second one took six. Both are out in the open now, but they're still on Hawaii time. They don't get up until at least 2:30 every day even though my lights come on at 10am. I imagine that will take some getting used to. I see them pick at rocks all day, but they haven't started eating prepared food yet. My tank should be able to sustain them until they start on mysis. Hopefully soon!

My daughters birthday party was a huge success. Everyone loved the tank and we got great cake smashing pictures. What more could you ask for?

I guess if you sleep under the sand it's hard to figure out when the new sun is up. Maybe you can aim a flashlight at their spot or pick at 'em with a stick to raise them at dawn :).

Glad it was a nice party. But mentioning tank before cake, you... reefneck...

A few typos. Maybe clearer now. Grrr auto correct.

It's always sad to see a reefer selling their livestock and tank. The hard work to maintain the system, the time and dedication it takes to find the exact corals you want and the hours of research that goes into the equipment and fish selections, all add up to an emotional bond that runs to the core. Watching someone part out their tank is like watching a hear break, one piece at a time.

I have a couple of leopards and they eventually started waking up with the rest of the tank. They also eat frozen but won't eat flake - although one eats nori sheets.

Thanks JCAB. So far they are eating frozen mysis and they do sometimes pick at the pellet and flake foods. How long have you had your two? Have they changed yet?

Leopard Wrasses show an amazing sexual dimorphism and I was really looking for a pair of medium/large active swimming fish. The problem is that I was having difficulty ordering one of each sex. Most of the distributors have no idea what they're looking for or how to tell them apart. That's why I picked these wrasses. While they are not hermaphroditic like Anthias, they do evolve their sexuality to suit the environment. Meaning that if you have two, then one will turn into a male and the other will stay female.

I have an ornate leopard and a black leopard for about 1 year and contrary to what is on live aquaria, have found them to be the easiest wrasses for me to keep.

Something weird happened last night. We were having dinner and I hear *spudder* *spudder* *grind* *pop* coming from the living room. Oh great, I thought, the AC is going out. I go into the next room and it's snowing in my tank! Little bits of something white are shooting out of the return and it looked to be pieces of fish! Everything in the tank is gobbling it up and within a minute it was gone. I counted all of my fish. All there. Shrimp, crabs, check. The only thing I can think of is maybe a sea cucumber? I turned up the skimmer and went into the garage for some carbon. No media bag! Ughh! I started to watch the fish and corals instead. Nothing seemed affected.

That's the weird part, I don't keep anything in the sump except macros. I imagine there's lots of stuff living down there, but certainly nothing big enough to make that much mess in the tank. Plus the hole to get into the pump through the guard is about the size of a dime. No snail could fit, but a shrimp or anemone might. I only have one BTA and it's safe.

Whatever it is, hope that it keeps reproducing in your tank and one jumps into the pump every night around 8pm everyday. Autofeeder... check!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Unless it was the cucumber and my whole tank got nuked without me knowing. I suppose I'll let you know as the days go on.

Archived