tank braces on a 36x24x12?

esacjack

Planning out my new frag tank expenditure.. Pricing the difference between building my own, and purchasing one. But I keep coming back to one question, does a shallow tank really need bracing? tentative dimensions are 36x24x12. But that may change to somethign like 24x24x12.

I've never seen one with a center brace. It's so easy and rewarding to build your own. It's not cheaper though. Actually double or triple the cost of new. But still fun. Acrylic or glass. Both fun. Once material is cut (by a professional) all you do is glue together. It's just about that simple. Your measurements aren't that far off from a 40 breeder. The larger measurement that is.

Yeah I'm going for a 36x24x12 1/2" glass. Quote came back for the glass at 370, which is about 300 cheaper than the other tank I was eyeballing, but it wont be drilled and wont come with an overflow.... and Chris/Bio3 leaves today... Guess I'll be taking a roadtrip to ole' alabammy to get my tank drilled biggrin.png

So the quotes so far are :

Glass (Binswanger) - Annealed 1/2" - $370.00

Acrylic (APS) - Cell Cast 1/2" - $216.00

Pros/Cons:

Glass:

Pro:

Sturdy

Heavier

Nicer

Cons:

Heavy.

Drilling requires glass hole saw

Acrylic:

Pro:

Cheap

Light

Can be drilled with standard wood hole saw

Cons:

Easy to crack

Assembly process is two part and irreversible.

Finish becomes tarnished over time

scratches easily

Binswanger will drill it. Usually for free. I just ask to talk to the glass guys in the back. I go to the back and tell them what I need. Drill, smoother edges. Anything I've asked. I've even seen them cut an entire section out to accommodate a beanimal over flow.

Archived