65 Gallon Cube

Tom

Hello all,

Relocated from Boston, last year; moved into the house and now starting to build.

Went with the Marlineland 65 gallon cube (frameless).

So far system looks like this:

Tank/stand

Sump - Eshopps RS75

Skimmer - Bubble-magus Curve 5

Return Pump - Tunze 1073.02

Two 50 W Eheim heaters

65 lbs Instant ocean Live Sand

Return pump is rated from 63 - 634 gph. Unfortunately I find it difficult to read the capacity versus height chart; not overly impressed with the power of the pump. First time using Tunze return pumps. Is this pump big enough?

So now decided on what to get for::

• Rocks - think I used Marco rocks and liked them
  • Lighting - definetly will be LEDs; had dual BlueLine 120 LED fixture. Was wondering about trying something else. The BlueLine had a mix of blue and white leds with dual power cords.
  • Circulation pumps - looking for ideas
  • Controller - had Neptune don't really need the ethernet; may try Reef Keeper this time.

And away we go untill the money runs dry.

Welcome! I'd stick with the apex, the local community has more users (that participate on ARC) who are apex users than RK users if that makes any kind of difference to you.

Additionally, while lots of folks love the kessil, keep in mind that it is a spotlight, and due to tank dimensions you're going to have a super bright point in the middle with a pretty rapid fall off around the edges of the tank.

When I had my par readings with my Kessil the only areas where par was low was at the very top at the edges, everywhere else was pretty constant all the way to the sand with no rapid fall offs anywhere. Many other options too this just a good one to look into. Doubt you will find anyone who has owned one say anything negative.

Thanks for the ideas on the LEDs. Kessil has normal and wide for a 24" x 24" x 24" tank which would make sense?

You can control the intensity and spectrum on the Kessil. Is this just a personal preference? Does anyone do automatic control other than turning it on/off?

With the BlueLine I turned the actinic (BlueLEDs) on 30 Minutes before the white LEDS and then turned off the actinics 30 minutes after the whites went off. With the Kessil do you get the advantage of actinic light? Not sure of the wavelength difference of the actinic versus the white leds. But I though corals liked both forms of light.

Ordered 70 lbs of Marco Rocks today.

Welcome! I'd stick with the apex, the local community has more users (that participate on ARC) who are apex users than RK users if that makes any kind of difference to you.

Additionally, while lots of folks love the kessil, keep in mind that it is a spotlight, and due to tank dimensions you're going to have a super bright point in the middle with a pretty rapid fall off around the edges of the tank.

Curious what Apex version most people have. It looked like the "Lite" version could be updated to the same features as the full blown.

I agree with what victoly said, just go with the full apex. I have the narrow 360 kessils and the spread is a lot wider than I expected. I'm so glad I didn't go with the wides. If you're planning on corals that like more light I'd definitely consider the narrow one. I can see what the angle is that mine are putting out if you want, it's easy to see if I stir up a little sand and cloudy the water.

I forgot some stuff about the kessils. You can turn them from white to very blue. My plan is to control both the intensity and color with the apex, beginning with a dim setting of all blue going all the way to full on and white light then back to dim and all blue.

I agree with what victoly said, just go with the full apex. I have the narrow 360 kessils and the spread is a lot wider than I expected. I'm so glad I didn't go with the wides. If you're planning on corals that like more light I'd definitely consider the narrow one. I can see what the angle is that mine are putting out if you want, it's easy to see if I stir up a little sand and cloudy the water.

Is the difference between "lite" and full blown the ph probe ($45) and Variable voltage ports($99)? I guess that makes up the difference in price of $130. That would look cool controlling the intensity and spectrum automatically.

There is lite/jr and full apex. The full has 2 pH ports (one for display tank, one for calcium reactor) and 4 variable speed ports to control LEDs/tunzes/etc. The mid has pH and no variables, and I think the jr is just 4 outlets with temp probe.

Why macro rock? It looks like dry rock to me.

With respect to the Blueline two color LED, I was not satisfied with either coral growth or macro growth. With respect to coral liking both spectrum, it depends on the coral.

Welcome to Austin. Il fait chaud.

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

Some questions on builds:

1. Overflow to sump connection, I'm using the standard vacumm hose that came with the sump. Any advantage to using PVC on this? I did some pumbing on the return.

2. Any suggestions on making the sump quieter?

3. Need for a chiller? House ambient is 77; Went with a Kessel 360 fixture; no glass cover. Presently running at 79.4 which is a little high.

Question on pumps:

Initially I bought this as the LFS recommended it:

Tunze Recirculation Pump Silence (1073.020)

Pumping power: 200 to 2,400 l/h (50 to 630 US gal./h).
Pumping head: 2 m (78.7 in.).

I posted on the Tunze forum that I was thinking this was under-powered. The Tubze guy saiid:

I don't know where you got the info that it could do 300 gallons at 6ft, it definitely cannot. Per the flow chart in the manual, a 1073.020 at 1.5 meters of head (4.9 ft) does .5 cubic meters an hour (132 gallons per hour). The pump is likely working properly, it is just way to small for this purpose, the 1073.040 does 396 gallons per hour at this same head pressure and is better suited.

So I went to the other LFS and bought a Mag Drive 5 rated around 300 GPH at 4'. Still not super impressed with the flow.

I only have 3-3/4" width to fit the return pump. Any other suggestions?

Maybe I should think about getting power heads once I've cycled.

As far as making it more quiet, what is the set up for your drain? Is it drilled? I can't tell from the pic since my phone screen is so small. Also for keeping it cool, is your light making it that temperature at 100% power or is it not turned up all the way? I feel like my lights got a little warm at 100% so if it isnt all the way up it might possibly even get warmer than it is now.

I was looking on Reef Central and there was a thread on quieting the sump using a valve to control the flow through the drain. However, it looked like it was recommended to have 2 drains the second as a fallback.

Anyone try this with one drain?

My tank is pre-drilled, for one drain and one return.

I added a pipe connected to the bulkhead on the sump so that drain water flow is under water. This quieted things down.

Also added some filter material between the overflow and the return. There was a gurgling sound where the return pipe into the tank has a hole. I think this breaks the siphon when the return pumps shuts off.

Checked ammonia, and nitrites; nothing yet. I was expecting some die off from the rock. Could kick start the cycle but I'm not in a hurry.

Any experience with Bubble Magus skimmers out there? At the wide open (MAX) setting it's still bubbling into the cup and then out the drain on the bottom. Probably nothing to skim yet.

It came with 2 hoses. LFS said one was just a replacement hose and the other has a block in it. But I thought LFS said the second hose could be used to skim into another container with this hose. But wouldn't you have to break the blockage?

Not loving the skimmer yet.

Archived