Protein skimmer recommendations

OK so I just decided that I want to get rid of my current 90 gallon tank because I would like to build a custom one. I am thinking of tearing out my coat closet and build an in wall tank. Two of the sides would be fully visible while a third side would face another room but be about 2/3 visable. My question is I would like to get a bigger skimmer for a sump setup but are there any issues if I happen to get a too large one. The tank is going to roughly be 33"L x 33"Deep x 24" height. I am assuming these dimensions may get me about 110G (roughly estimating). I have seen a couple of skimmers that I like that are rated for 300G. Knowing that this is overkill, but I like it; does any one see any issues with it? May someone please provide some advice? Thanks

That is my point... Is there an issue with over skimming? I have never ran into this issue since I always tend to keep the right size skimmer for the amount of Gs. What are potential issues that I may have with overskimming?

Yes you can overskim. There are biological processes in aquaria that are capable to reduce nitrates and phosphates to levels that will harm your corals, see this discussion here: http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/26744-do-you-put-your-skimmate-back-into-your-tank/ . Delbeek and Sprung discuss the Nitrate and Phosphate cycles in their book "The Reef Aquarium" Vol III which I strongly reccomend. There is also the issue of properly feeding your corals. Dr. Shimek, a proponent of skimming, wrote a very good article discussing anorexic reef aquaria in the Nov/Dec. 2010 issue of Coral, which is available in Coral's archive if you get a digital subscription. Victoly and I are on opposite sides of this discussion regarding skimming use and here is a link to some of our arguements: http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/27423-help-picking-the-right-skimmer/

Here is one of my systems that does not have skimming, it was 3 years old at the time of the video:

• Like 1

Over skimming is a definite possibility, but generally only if you really overshoot (2x tank

Volume). 300g skimmers for a 110g tank would be over skimming IMO.

I have a 425 rated on 200 gallons its perfrct thick paste skimmate but I had to dial it right

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Over skimming is a definite possibility, but generally only if you really overshoot (2x tank

Volume). 300g skimmers for a 110g tank would be over skimming IMO.

I have a 425 rated on 200 gallons its perfrct thick paste skimmate but I had to dial it right

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

110-300g is nearly a 3:1, yours was a little over 2:1. Plus I know how much you feed those fish, you need that skimmer :)

• Like 1