Water Temp To High

KTLW

My tank water temperature has recently increased and was hoping someone might have some suggestions for me. Below are my tank details and any help is greatly appreciated.

Tank History

33 gallons

Established for 5 yrs & in the same location for the past 2 years

Temperature kept at 76 degrees

Lights on for 8 yrs in the evening

Both T8 bulbs replaced May 2nd

Water test all good

Recent issues

78 degrees with the lights off

83 degrees with the lights on

Major green algae outbreak

I assume you have no heater...if you do check to ensure it is not stuck on

What is the temperature in the house like

outside wall? inside wall?" any direct sunlight exposure?

t8 lighting shouldn't put off a ton of heat...are the ballasts warm?

I assume you mean 8hrs and not years

also check with another thermometer to ensure it is not just a bad reading

to remedy:

fans

or

small chiller

Thank you for your response Capt. Obvious, I have answered your questions in red below.

I assume you have no heater - No heater

What is the temperature in the house like - Day 78 and night 74

outside wall? inside wall?" any direct sunlight exposure? Inside wall & no direct sunlight

t8 lighting shouldn't put off a ton of heat...are the ballasts warm? I have not taken the hood apart to feel the ballast but I can try that tonight

I assume you mean 8hrs and not years - Yes you are correct 8 hrs

also check with another thermometer to ensure it is not just a bad reading - Checked the thermometer yesterday with another one & both had the same temp reading

I'm in a similar boat right now, I'm trying for a quick/temp fix while I will be out of town. But what kind of equipment do you have inside the tank/sump etc. I know in my set up the three pumps in the sump are adding a good bit of heat.

What pumps are you running? I've had some older ones that started to put out a ton of heat compared to when they were new. If you've never had problems in the past, I would look at the equipment that could possibly put out more heat as it ages.

You guys are awesome, thank you for all the response

Temp update – House 78 & water 82.8

what kind of equipment do you have inside the tank/sump – 2 x Aqua Clear 50 hang on back filter & 1 x Hydor Koralia powerhead

if you have powerheads, make sure they are not running hot...if they are they may just need a good cleaning – Will check that when I get home

What pumps are you running? I've had some older ones that started to put out a ton of heat compared to when they were new. If you've never had problems in the past, I would look at the equipment that could possibly put out more heat as it ages. – Will check the powerhead & filters tonight

The problem I usually encounter is the return pump is hot and the house is not cycling the air while I'm away.

Even though your house may be at a constant temperature with your lights, return pumps, and powerheads heating that small of a footprint to an extra 4 degrees it's not enough to change the house temp to kick on the a/c. I'd give everything a good cleaning regardless and look into throwing a cpu fan with your lights or upgrading to new ones since the cost is so minimal it's best to start there.

Evaporative cooling is your friend. Add some fans to the top of the tank, but know that you'll evaporate water much faster and therefore most likely need an auto topoff if you don't already have one. It will also increase the humidity in your home (not bad in most houses, can be noticeable in an apartment).

Temp update

Removed the glass and added a small fan. Ran the fan from 5:00 pm to 11:30 pm and the temp dropped a couple of degrees. This morning currently the tank is 75.7 & the house is 78. Going keep an eye on it today without the fan and see how it does.

Thanks again for everyones help!!

Archived