125g Lagoonal Reef

Ibnzmonkey

Hello everyone,

I found out about ARC through the Austin Fish Nerds Facebook page. I thought I would join since this seems like such a great community. I've been working on a 125g build since January. I'm going to catch you guys up to where I am now with a qfew quick photos. I am trying to do as much DIY as I can on this build to keep costs down.

I started off with the stand, It's a standard 72 x 18 x 21 tank. The stand measures 35" tall and has 4 butterfly style doors.

Here is the internal framing.

2013-01-25_17-36-56_918_zps5a947bf3.jpg

Skinning with 3/4"

2013-02-01_17-25-33_593_zpscbf5d959.jpg

Measuring for doors

2013-02-07_16-35-06_589_zps2db9a117.jpg

BOOM! Doors..

2013-02-15_16-55-58_519-1_zpsce0e39a8.jp

Then paint!

45477_4199201633212_1932384481_n_zps29b3

After I completed the stand I started working on my sump. It's a simple single baffle berlin style low flow system.

2013-04-04_09-15-09_779_zpse51dc2bc.jpg

2013-04-13_02-36-47_556_zps6bc6bf3b.jpg

Sump and ATO system installed and plumbed.

2013-04-14_18-06-17_307_zps9b63e477.jpg

After several hours of pain and suffering I finally got this this up two flights of stairs by myself.

2013-04-19_09-39-10_576-1_zps51429515.jp

Modded some WP-40's for variable speed and installed them in my cabinet.

2013-04-25_00-43-28_563_zps8c2e03e9.jpg

Successful water test completed today..

th_125gReef_zpsa81127b8.jpg

That's about it so far on where I'm at. I have 3 120w fixtures on the way here from ebay that I took a gamble with. They seem to get great reviews on the RC forum so hopefully I made a good buy. I'll be doing a DIY on my LED fixture rack as soon as I get the goods from Fedex.

Looks nice. Look forward to seeing your build. I'm guessing this is not your first build.

I had a 40B before this but it wasnt very DIY intensive. I store bought mostly everything. This time around I'm doing things a little differently.

Cool. I meant "build" as in successfully hold water and living things in a box. Not nessecarilly the DIY part.

Oh, no. It's not my first build in that sense of the word. I had South American Cichlids before. Heres what my 40B looked like before I ended up selling it.

2012-12-06_16-01-47_760.jpg

a9862908-e091-421c-94c2-60d6bc7bfeac_zps

The only things I need to finish this current build is just 200lbs of base rock and just enough sand to cover about 1.5" of the floor.

Very nice craftsmanship with stand/cabinet. What do you invision for inhabitants of your lagoon? Patrick

PS: I just saw your user name on another thread about macro. I will use the other thread to discuss your options.

Very nice craftsmanship with stand/cabinet. What do you invision for inhabitants of your lagoon? Patrick

PS: I just saw your user name on another thread about macro. I will use the other thread to discuss your options.

I'll discuss macro in the other thread. As far as critters are concerned? I'm not sure. I want a peaceful community system with lots of diversity. I'll be running a heavy clean up crew just like I did with my 40B. That tank essentially took care of itself. I may look into using salt water mollies as a shoaling fish.

I ran into some hilarious issues today. It seems as though the silicone I used to secure my baffle in my sump is almost a year past it's "use by" date. Which sucks because I bought it almost 3 weeks ago. You got me good Home Depot! I was wondering why it was still sort of spongy after a few days of cure time...

Anyways, some time during the night the baffle gave way and dislodged itself from the silicone. Same thing with my overflow wall.. I guess next time I'll check the date before I buy. Looks like I have some razor blading to do this weekend.

No bueno.

I am super jealous of all the space you have in that stand...I am having to get creative just to jam everything I "need" into 3 pieces of furniture

Thanks. I hated the fact that my last stand was barely large enough to fit my sump. The ATO was outside the tank in an ottoman and looked kind of out of place. When I built this stand I was determined to make it to where I have enough space for the bare essentials.

cool lights. i don't remember if you said, are you also building a canopy for them?

I like open top tanks. But if I can't come up with a good solution I might just have to build a canopy.

cool lights. i don't remember if you said, are you also building a canopy for them?

I like open top tanks. But if I can't come up with a good solution I might just have to build a canopy.

plenty of people around here have used some sort of bent aluminum tube stands for lights. it looks more like what was on your 40g pictured above.

This week I'm going to be building a linking system to hold the lights at a pre-determined distance from each other. I am most likely going to end up hanging them, however, I would like it to be a single solid fixture instead of 3 individual pendants.

I'll post up CAD drawing this week when I lay it all out.

Welcome wave.gif

Very nice build so far. Your work looks very clean. On the silicone, take that stuff back to HD. They will exchange it. Tell them the product failed due to the exp date.

Archived