The Captain's DSA 90 "cube" post-build thread

Capt. Obvious

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good Capt. Glad to hear you are liking Zeo. I am hoping to start this week.

Thanks, let me know how it goes...what reactor did you end up going with?

I ended up buying the KZ kit from BRS with a Vertex 3L reactor, 3Ls of zeolite, zeobac, zeostart and zeofood. I began last Friday. I can't tell much difference yet. Hopefully by the time I get home on Friday things will be different. I took off the GFO/GAC reactor last night. I've installed my new skimmer last week as well.

Well yesterday was another Christmas-like day with the following all waiting on my doorstep when I got home:

Brs 2-part kit

More zeovit

Zeovit carbon

My avast marine cs1 kit

My avast marine skimmate locker (with cutoff switch)

My avast marine swabbie (skimmer neck cleaner)

My replacement neptune EB8

My backup Neptune head unit

Here is the Avast CS1 kit:

ZKWmlkP.jpg

it took good 3-4 weeks for the differences to start showing changes...I take it you are still in the 14 day startup? (3hr on/3hr off)

Yup, started last Friday but I only had 1L of zeolites since BRS forgot to include the extra 2 bags of stones. I have the extra bag of stones soaking right now and will add them today along with an increase in flow and start/bac.

Today I learned (the hard way) not to adjust your skimmer after using selcon (or anything oil based) especially when you forget to plug your safety cut-off for your remote skimmate collector back into your apex.

:|

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to hear about the avast marine cs1 kit. I have the same size aquarium and was thinking of getting the same skimmer.

I LOVE this skimmer, easy to tune, super quiet, recirculating, skims like a beast. Simple to build (if you follow the instructions to the letter, I didn't and it made things a bit more difficult). With the remote skimmate collector w/cut off switch and the automatic neck cleaner, I don't think I have ever liked a skimmer a much as I do this one. I currently have the sicce psk1000 pump on it, the skimmer is fed directly from my manifold

Redoing my light hangers. They are adjustable up and down, the light can be adjusted front to back AND they swivel out of the way for maintenance. Much better than my previous mount in almost every way

OuNyj5m.jpg

1/2 conduit did it right! good jerb.

Nice work. Are you planning on automating the zeobac or zeostart? I have my start3 on a doser and it is nice to split it into 4 equal doses (diluted to 1:9)

I should, I have read you have to use sterilized water (not just RO/di) so...dunno

Redoing my light hangers. They are adjustable up and down, the light can be adjusted front to back AND they swivel out of the way for maintenance. Much better than my previous mount in almost every way

OuNyj5m.jpg

1/2 conduit did it right! good jerb.

Yup! Thanks for the use of your bender...which I need to get back to you

Archived