The Captain's DSA 90 "cube" post-build thread

Capt. Obvious

• 2 weeks later...

Montis have been mounted in such a way where shading will not be an issue. Still waiting on the vega upgrade kits to come in (they take a couple weeks after order). As far as the zeovit, yes I have noticed a few changes: my polyp extension is insane, colors are starting to "pop", the mild "dusting" of algae I had on various areas of my sandbed vanished. On the negative: one coral suffered a bit of STN, but nothing major

DId you choose the colors that come in the Vega kit or is it the same for all of them? I'm interested to see how much color/growth you get with those lights

Yes I chose the power puck arrangement ... I kept it mostly default on the vega colors but added some uv

Exciting!!

Sadly the old style AI controller doesn't work on Vegas only the new style AI controller. Which would have sucked, except... Last week my old style controller started acting up. I put in a support ticket with AI and, after exchanging a few emails to troubleshoot, they sent me a replacement controller. They saw I had an order for 2 vega upgrades and sent me out the new controller free of charge!

In addition my WXM module also came in today for my Apex.

Like Christmas up in here.

I have to say, I have had tremendous service and support from both Avast Marine and AquaIllumination.

Oh, and I won $75 in credit from Avast Marine for my YouTube review of the zeovit tumbler!

On the negative side...my EB8 gave up the ghost today...with a pop and a sizzle and a wisp of smoke. :( replacement is already on order but it still aggravates me.

• Like 1

That's cool about the controller! I'm interested in how the upgrade goes.

As much as I'd love to do it tonight (or even tomorrow) I am pretty sure I won't get around to it until Monday at best. But I'll let you know how it goes.

Well, surprisingly I was able to find (make) time to do the upgrades last night.

The were very simple (basically you just remove everything from the heatsink, except the fan, and replace it with vega guts)

I am currently just running the default timers with blue and white at a max of 35% and the others at a 15-18% max. Look good...however during the sunset ramp down it I a bit too purple for me, so I'll need to adjust it at some point.

Also the mounting screws for the vega are shorter to prevent contact with the pucks so my old mount doesn't work quite right and will need to be replaced. If I was using an AI mount this would not be an issue.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the guts of 2 AI Sols

UMI7dKO.jpg