Niko's 120g

Niko's Reef

Purchased this from Viet'spride70. Loved the wood work that Vu did on it, so I jumped on it.

I bought a 3ft eel, because I got a really good deal. I had originally purchased this eel for my 185g that I'm building into the wall, but I'm taking my time on it since it's my dream tank. I felt bad about having the 3ft eel in the 55g that I got as part of the deal, so I wasted no time in purchasing this tank.

So here it goes. It took me a three times to find a sump that I like, but this 1 seems to be the 1.

post-2511-0-50703300-1366613963_thumb.jppost-2511-0-04965300-1366614252_thumb.jp

post-2511-0-85783500-1366614039_thumb.jppost-2511-0-10857000-1366614171_thumb.jppost-2511-0-49143300-1366616048_thumb.jp

Pics of the occupants

post-2511-0-58803000-1366614618_thumb.jppost-2511-0-71009100-1366614738_thumb.jppost-2511-0-00291300-1366614932_thumb.jppost-2511-0-77654600-1366615130_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Added a few things today for Riff Raff the Giraffe Eel to chill with.

post-2511-0-98981800-1367711051_thumb.jp

post-2511-0-95827900-1367711134_thumb.jp

Thanks Chris (ct67stang). I owe you big time for grabbing the Angel from SA.

Been trying to tie up my schedule with them for 3 weeks.

I thought I was going to have to act like the Riverwalk was where I wanted to take my wife for our 1 year anny next weekend.

You weren't lying he's huge. 8" inches my a$$. More like 12".

Got to get on my grind and finish the 185g.

• Like 1

Added a few things today for Riff Raff the Giraffe Eel to chill with.

attachicon.gifWP_20130504_019.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20130504_018.jpg

Thanks Chris (ct67stang). I owe you big time for grabbing the Angel from SA.

Been trying to tie up my schedule with them for 3 weeks.

I thought I was going to have to act like the Riverwalk was where I wanted to take my wife for our 1 year anny next weekend.

You weren't lying he's huge. 8" inches my a$$. More like 12".

Got to get on my grind and finish the 185g.

Looking GREAT, Niko! That Angel is WAYYY too big for a 120g or a 185g, though. Heck, he's too big for a 220g, and he'll keep getting BIGGER hyper.gif You're not going to need a powerhead anymore! I bet he'll create waves of his own! wink.png

Yeah, he is a lot bigger then I expected. He's 5 yrs so I'm hoping he won't get too much bigger. Just read they can get up to 18". I wanted something me eel wouldn't eat, but not too sure about that.

• 3 weeks later...

That's not the shark that was in the egg is it?

Nah, it's a marble cat shark. It's pretty sweet looking. The egg is a bamboo shark. It's getting really close to hatching. Figured out how I want to do the plumbing on the 185g, so I should have it ready for him soon.

• Like 1

Beautiful eel. I had one a little over 3' scare the devil out of me in Hawaii. grin.png

I bet. They are pretty aggressive. Did he come at you?

I was walking in the shallows in between two large sections of mangrove forrest when I see a giant yellow mantis off to my left. I turn and squat down so my lower half is fully in the water. I put my face into the water for a better look and I see a giant yellow mantis followed by a smaller mantis. I thought they might be a pair so I watched them for a minute or two playing in the zoas. I stood up to continue my walk and after my first step I realize that there is something coming towards me! This giant Tessalata is swimming so fast that I can barely distinguish it between the wind blown water. He swims directly at me, through my legs, and into the mangroves. It all happened within a few seconds but I just stood there about to have a heart attack. I found him behind me about 10 feet woven throughout some mangrove roots staring at me. He was about 3-4' long and as thick as my bicep. His color was black on the bottom and an almost brown towards the top with neon yellow markings. Looking from the top down you can only see a red-brown shadow that looks like just the volcanic rocks. The coloring really does an impeccable job of camouflage.

Hey Niko, I by no means mean this offensively, or to question you as a person or your character. I do, however, want to express my concern about a few things, if you don't mind me doing so.

The fish you are housing in that 120g are far too large to be in such a small tank. Any sort of shark should be in something AT LEAST three times that size . Some even believe that 1000g is too small for a shark, even for smaller species. And, with the amount of rock that is in the tank, the fish doesn't have hardly any swimming space (or so it seems). The Angel, like I said in a previous post, is far too big for the tank as well. I know that something that size should have at least 250g of water to be somewhat comfy... probably even more than that. I saw that you want to put the shark that is in an egg in your 185g that you have been building... but again, that 185g will still not be big enough.

Like I said, I by no means write this to insult you, but to help. I hope that you see this as friendly advice more than anything else! :)

• Like 1

No problem Brooks. I actually value the clubs input. That's why before I added the shark, I posted the topic on my status. A lot of people weighed in on it, and very few opposed it. The 1's that did, were more open to it after some discussion. Some of the people that I really value their opinion on here gave me the green light, and that was enough for me after my research. I spent several days/week looking into this. Some sites however back your statement, and people off other reef clubs as well. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

IMO sharks aren't very active and these sharks have better agility then some of the other species of sharks. Also, both of the sharks are going to max out at 2-3ft long most likely. Has a lot to do with the environment they are in. The local LFS store that sold the egg gave me their opinion as well. I wouldn't do it in anything less the 180g, but that's me. If I think they are outgrowing the tank, I won't hesitate re-homing them. I see people on youtube that have sharks in smaller aquariums all the time.

I didnt realize the angel was that big when I purchased him. I 100% agree with you on that 1. I no longer have that angel. Having him in there was miserable for me, so hate to know how he felt. The tang and puffer have been removed as well. Those 2 had more to do with the eel then the size of the fish. I just decided not to house any fish with him anymore.

Didn't like the rock setup either once I got the shark. I pulled a lot of the live-rock out. IMO there is much more room for the shark and eel. However, I feel the eel liked the rock work better the other way, he is still very happy and active though. I pretty much setup the tank entirely for him before the shark. He had a lot of caves and cool openings. When I added the shark, I didn't feel like he had enough space to swim. That's why I broke the rock work down. I thought it would be cool if they each had their own cave. Sometimes they are in separate caves, but they are usually together. I was kind of scared when I introduced the shark, because Riff Raff the Giraffe Eel was hot. That's why I thought if they had their own caves it would be better. It didn't take too long for them to become buddies however. Just a few days. I just seen someone had the shark in a 55g tank and wanted to trade. I figured the 120 would be better for him then a 55g until I get the 185g up, which is a few weeks away. I plan on having very minimal rock in the DT of the 185g. Plan on running the majority of it in the sump. The tie up with the 185g that I've been having is trying to figure out how I can do the overflows. I removed the 2 corner overflows for swimming space. I now know how I want to proceed without taking up all the space the corner overflows were taking. I'm going to use 2 of the drilled holes on the left as drains. The other 2 I'll use as returns. I'll run pvc pipe up into a small half moon overflow box that will be mounted on the right side and connected to the returns. I also think this will clean up the look of the tank since both the front and back will be visibly open.

I also plan on adding a sting ray to the 185g. I have researched and spoke to the LFS about it at length as well numerous times.

http://www.freshmarine.com/marble-shark.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Bamboo-Shark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitespotted_bamboo_shark

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+41+3115&pcatid=3115

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/sharkprofiles/p/bbbambooshark.htm

http://www.reefs2go.com/product/F-EEL-TESSELATA/Live-Saltwater-Fish-Tesselata-Eel.html

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+29+133&pcatid=133

Overall, I'm very comfortable with my decisions now that the angel isn't in that environment. I think it will be amazing to have sharks, stingrays, and an eel in my wall.

post-2511-0-00434500-1369198637_thumb.jp

Beautiful eel. I had one a little over 3' scare the devil out of me in Hawaii. grin.png

I bet. They are pretty aggressive. Did he come at you?

I was walking in the shallows in between two large sections of mangrove forrest when I see a giant yellow mantis off to my left. I turn and squat down so my lower half is fully in the water. I put my face into the water for a better look and I see a giant yellow mantis followed by a smaller mantis. I thought they might be a pair so I watched them for a minute or two playing in the zoas. I stood up to continue my walk and after my first step I realize that there is something coming towards me! This giant Tessalata is swimming so fast that I can barely distinguish it between the wind blown water. He swims directly at me, through my legs, and into the mangroves. It all happened within a few seconds but I just stood there about to have a heart attack. I found him behind me about 10 feet woven throughout some mangrove roots staring at me. He was about 3-4' long and as thick as my bicep. His color was black on the bottom and an almost brown towards the top with neon yellow markings. Looking from the top down you can only see a red-brown shadow that looks like just the volcanic rocks. The coloring really does an impeccable job of camouflage.

Just reading that almost gave me a heart attack. What an experience and amazing story. Glad you made it thru that unscathed.

I see people on youtube that have sharks in smaller aquariums all the time.

Just because you saw/read it on the Internet does not make it right.

I'm a French model :D

But I do agree with brooks I don't think the tank is big enough for a shark to turn comfortably. I'm afraid to even put one in my 750 just due to him running out of swim space.

No problem Brooks. I actually value the clubs input. That's why before I added the shark, I posted the topic on my status. A lot of people weighed in on it, and very few opposed it. The 1's that did, were more open to it after some discussion. Some of the people that I really value their opinion on here gave me the green light, and that was enough for me after my research. I spent several days/week looking into this. Some sites however back your statement, and people off other reef clubs as well. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

IMO sharks aren't very active and these sharks have better agility then some of the other species of sharks. Also, both of the sharks are going to max out at 2-3ft long most likely. Has a lot to do with the environment they are in. The local LFS store that sold the egg gave me their opinion as well. I wouldn't do it in anything less the 180g, but that's me. If I think they are outgrowing the tank, I won't hesitate re-homing them. I see people on youtube that have sharks in smaller aquariums all the time.

I didnt realize the angel was that big when I purchased him. I 100% agree with you on that 1. I no longer have that angel. Having him in there was miserable for me, so hate to know how he felt. The tang and puffer have been removed as well. Those 2 had more to do with the eel then the size of the fish. I just decided not to house any fish with him anymore.

Didn't like the rock setup either once I got the shark. I pulled a lot of the live-rock out. IMO there is much more room for the shark and eel. However, I feel the eel liked the rock work better the other way, he is still very happy and active though. I pretty much setup the tank entirely for him before the shark. He had a lot of caves and cool openings. When I added the shark, I didn't feel like he had enough space to swim. That's why I broke the rock work down. I thought it would be cool if they each had their own cave. Sometimes they are in separate caves, but they are usually together. I was kind of scared when I introduced the shark, because Riff Raff the Giraffe Eel was hot. That's why I thought if they had their own caves it would be better. It didn't take too long for them to become buddies however. Just a few days. I just seen someone had the shark in a 55g tank and wanted to trade. I figured the 120 would be better for him then a 55g until I get the 185g up, which is a few weeks away. I plan on having very minimal rock in the DT of the 185g. Plan on running the majority of it in the sump. The tie up with the 185g that I've been having is trying to figure out how I can do the overflows. I removed the 2 corner overflows for swimming space. I now know how I want to proceed without taking up all the space the corner overflows were taking. I'm going to use 2 of the drilled holes on the left as drains. The other 2 I'll use as returns. I'll run pvc pipe up into a small half moon overflow box that will be mounted on the right side and connected to the returns. I also think this will clean up the look of the tank since both the front and back will be visibly open.

I also plan on adding a sting ray to the 185g. I have researched and spoke to the LFS about it at length as well numerous times.

http://www.freshmarine.com/marble-shark.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Bamboo-Shark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitespotted_bamboo_shark

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+41+3115&pcatid=3115

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/sharkprofiles/p/bbbambooshark.htm

http://www.reefs2go.com/product/F-EEL-TESSELATA/Live-Saltwater-Fish-Tesselata-Eel.html

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+29+133&pcatid=133

Overall, I'm very comfortable with my decisions now that the angel isn't in that environment. I think it will be amazing to have sharks, stingrays, and an eel in my wall.

attachicon.gifWP_20130521_001.jpg

I do understand that from the sources you've read and the people you've talked to, it would seem that it is okay to put such a large animal in a tank that size. And I do commend you for doing such extensive research. However, 5 of the links you provided are from a retailer of some kind. You also mentioned that many of the people you've talked to are at a LFS. You have to keep in mind, a retailer in any form is looking for a sale... especially a large sale of a shark. Just because LiveAquaria says its okay for a shark to be in 180g, doesn't mean its correct. They also say that its okay for fish that get up to 1'4" to be in a 120g tank, just because it doesn't swim much. The other links were to Wikipedia, and unfortunately Wikipedia isn't a reliable source, either. Most educational establishments forbid the use of Wikipedia due to how inaccurate it can be. Like Bio3 said, just because you read it, doesn't mean its right! When questioning what size tank is appropriate for fish, search other forums... not retail sites. smile.png

• Like 1