Eheim 1262 repair/help

Planeden

I did a dumb thing. I do not know all the names of things, but I will try my best to explain. But, if it helps anyone this is on the 40 gallon tank formerly known as "brooks's". The basic setup is an outlet out of the sump with an elbow that attaches to the inlet on the eheim 1262310. The water goes through the pump and spits out into the tank through a flex hose.

Long story short, I was chasing a teeny tiny leak in the system. I decided to tighten every joint I could. The problem started when I unscrewed/rescrewed the PVC into the inlet on the pump. I think I over tightened it, and when I tried to back it off, the plate on the pump popped off. It opens up to the impeller. It seems to have an o-ring and had a thin silicon seal on top of that. I put it back together, but now I have a big leak.

I'm pretty sure I just need to reapply the silicon. Any ideas of what silicon would be good to use? Based on the opposing piece it seems that the silicon was put on the piece, allowed to set, and then put together because there is no silicon on the other part. Precision is not one of my strong suits, so maybe mashing it together while the silicon is wet is a better idea?

Pictures to follow. Thanks for any help.

Edit: I can't seem to attach files from my iPad. If needed I will upload when I get to a real computer.

Here's a parts explosion you could use to talk to:

1262Small.jpg

Part no Name
2615600 2x Coarse foam for 1060, 1260 and 1262 Pumps
4009560 Set of Cleaning brushes for All Filter pumps
7268109 Intake screen 1060, 1260 and 1262
7268259 Mounting plate
7268359 Sealing cover
7268409 Holding ring
7269350 Sealing ring
7271100 Suction cups
7443100 Shaft and bushings
7443500 Threaded connector G 3/4
7443670 Pump cover
7478250 Attachment lug
7479950 Threaded outlet connector for canister
7653068 Impeller (60 Hz)

From http://www.eheimparts.com/display_product.php?pid=1262

Edited by Mitch

Thanks Mitch, didn't thing of that.

Ok, so the 7443500 threaded connector is what was messing wirh, but it seems that it had been replaced by someone.

The 7443670 pump cover and the 7269350 sealing ring is what I am trying to fix. The pump cove just sits in the pump and is locked into place with the 7268409 holding ring.

Thanks Robb, at this point no wildlife is in danger (except me). But that is definately good to know for future problems. I found a manual that coved about 75 different pumps but couldn't tell if all were submersible or just some of them.

After thinking about it more, it seems that any reef safe silicone ought to do it.

With respect to using silicone rubber to seal things, both surfaces should be dry. Normal protocol is the apply sealant on one surface only. I allow it enough time to dry to begin curing before compressing rubber between the two surfaces.

With respect to using silicone rubber to seal things, both surfaces should be dry. Normal protocol is the apply sealant on one surface only. I allow it enough time to dry to begin curing before compressing rubber between the two surfaces.

Thanks, I'll try it that way.