Niko's Reef

Not sure where to post this. I don't think it's in the emergency stage yet.

I screwed up royally. I only had a few fish that were nothing but hiders in my new 90g. So this weekend I decided to invest quite a bit of $ into livestock. Since there wasn't much fish in there , I didn't QT the fish. Didnt have the QT tank setup yet. All looked healthy and are eating like pigs. Then I noticed 1 of the angels had some spots. Since he is in the sand all the time, I was hoping it was sand instead of ich. I've been trying to catch him for 2 days. Well, now 1 of my tangs, trigger, and another angel have light spots. These are all the new 1's I just got. Some of the other 1's I got don't have it, and none of the original fish have it. It's really light, and they are all looking healthy and eating. Not sure what I should do? I've never had ich. I have some stuff that says I can dose it, and it won't affect my biological filtration system. Says it won't affect invertebrates, fish, or coral. It just says that I should remove the carbon and skimmer. Says I can leave the GFO in there. Think it's called Quick Cure, but I can't remember for sure. They all are eating Nori as well. Could it just be stress? Any suggestions?

I tried to use Quck Cure on a brooklynella problem awhile back with absolutely no results. RCA had medicated food last time I was there but I might have bought the last package. Surely they more by now though.

I have heard that a UV sterilizer will work wonders. Didn't have one before but after the brooklynella killed my fish I got one.

Hope that helps.

Niko, what Juiceman said... If they are eating and healthy their immune system can fight it. It is generally stress induced which is why your previous fish don't have it and your new ones do. The immune system is slightly weakened on the newer fish due the process of moving them. Just keep them fed with and watch them closely to make sure it doesn't get worse. If you have access to a UV Sterilizer like James says that would be good as well, but if you don't have one, don't go spend $$$$ to get one unless you were wanting one anyway for the long-term.

• Like 2

Yeah, I called Rory and he recommended a few things. Called up Shane and he has everything I need. Going to add a few more cleaner shrimp in for extra measures. Going to pick up another sterilizer for this tank as well. Have them in all my other tanks, just haven't gotten around to that yet for this 1. Thanks all.

While some people have success just using medicated food or supplements that boos the immune system I'm a huge fan of UV sterilizers although they do need to be sized properly to be successful. Here's a good link about the life cycle of "ich" http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa164 There are different strains and some are certainly more virulent than others and the cysts can be transfered on any hard substrate removed from an infected tank.

• Like 1

Niko I got some of the anti parasite frozen food you can try if you want. It worked good on my fish that would eat it but some didn't like it and wouldn't touch it. Your more than welcome to come grab a chunk and see if they eat it. It's called dr. G's anti parasite frozen food

• Like 2

I added some garlic extreme and zoe last night and I'm seeing improvement. Also purchased a sterilizer and 2 more cleaning shrimp. I appreciate the offer ckyuv. If I stop seeing improvements, I'll take you up on that offer.