ID this macro algae

Bpb

I have a bit of this pest macro algae growing amongst these zoas. You can see the long gray colored stalk growing down towards the sand. In the second picture you can see a leaf which looks like a double-sided serrated knife almost. It has been growing in green, but once I ramped up my GFO it started turning white but is still growing. It seems to be unaffected by peroxide. Any ideas?

post-2651-0-88277500-1365533897_thumb.jp

post-2651-0-11133100-1365533936_thumb.jp

I haven't seen that before, and it wasn't in the Reef Cleaners: Nuisance Algae ID Guide. In Beyond the Refugium: A Macroalgae Primer, I noticed a photo of a snail with a tuft of similar looking algae named Batophora sp. That lead me to a WWM page (non-definitive answer).

Interesting on stemmed sponge. Esacjack that looks identical to mine. It's odd though, when I pull it. It peels off the rock similar to how a stray rhizome of st Augustine grass does if that makes sense. It creeps along, rooting in the rock every cm or so, but is loose otherwise.

I have some of that in our biocube. I havent been able to figure it out, but someone told me its a stemmed sponge.

buyitnow_crypticseed_rock007_big.jpg

Source: Steve Tyree's ReefFarmers

http://www.reeffarmers.com/

p.s. Apparently Steve lives in Central Texas somewhere these days... Field trip?

Sounds fun, let me see if I can get in contact with him...

I'll just keep pulling it out as it grows. Man I tell you what. I have this one grapefruit sized rock that has just been a pain. Aiptasia, green hair algae, now Caulerpa. It's been one thing after another. And it's only one rock that seems to produce this stuff. Unfortunately it's also COVERED in zoas and has an adolescent sized (7") toadstool that my clown sleeps in. Getting rid of the rock is not preferred but I'm tired of the pests it harbors

Not sure what your stocking is currently like, but if it's in the 55 in your info, you could get a foxface and they typically will clean this stuff up like crazy. I normally don't suggest adding more nutrients (via another fish) to a tank to control algae, but these types of caulerpa can be so aggressive that they take over much of a tank while you're trying to get your nutrients under control. Just something to consider if it starts getting away from you.

Same tank. Nutrient level is really getting to where I want it. None of my sps are brown, and everything is looking pretty solid. Growth is acceptable. Just some nagging spots that are tolerating the lower nutrients. I'm religious about mechanical filtration and gfo/carbon changing.

I love fox faces. They're one of my favorite fish, I never got one because I was under the impression my tank wasn't large enough. Id love one though. Currently have a clarkii clown, azure damsel, royal gramma, and pj cardinal fish