Dumbest Plumbing Question Ever... Don't judge.

Brooks

Okay, like the title says, this might be the stupidest question ever. But here goes.. I'm using 3/4" hose barbs, and when I struggle attempt to put 3/4" clear hosing over it, it won't go on more than just the head of the barb. Am I supposed to use a larger sized tubing to get this to work?

I know... dumbest question ever.

What hose is it / where'd you get it?

3/4 hose is typically very rigid. Normally I get a coffee cup of boiling or near boiling water. Soak the end of the hose in it for 10 - 20 seconds and it should go on the hose barb. If the tubing is really flimsy it may be very hard to get it on there. Also, flimsy tube has a tendency to kink really easily if you go around any corners.

I use a heat gun to soften the hose first, then it is much easier. And I follow with a ziptie for piece of mind.

What hose is it / where'd you get it?

3/4 hose is typically very rigid. Normally I get a coffee cup of boiling or near boiling water. Soak the end of the hose in it for 10 - 20 seconds and it should go on the hose barb. If the tubing is really flimsy it may be very hard to get it on there. Also, flimsy tube has a tendency to kink really easily if you go around any corners.

I just figured it out thanks to Yasmin ha! It is 3/4" outer diameter and 5/8" inner. Time to go back to Home Depot, LOL.

I just figured it out thanks to Yasmin ha! It is 3/4" outer diameter and 5/8" inner. Time to go back to Home Depot, LOL.

With hot water you can actually get it on there, but you may get a reduced flow volume due to higher head loss.

Went ahead and just bought the larger tubing...

Another question: I have an EVIL center brace in this tank and was planning to use a 60" 8 x 80w T5 fixture. However, now I'm a little hesitant because I HATE HATE HATE when the brace casts a shadow. Does anyone know how this will look?

Good question. I'm sure many didn't know the difference between the two and they do now.

I think it will look just fine. Suprisingly, underneath my brace seems to be a sweet spot for some of my corals. Blessing in disguise? Idk...you could always remove and replace. I do believe with that many bulbs it should be fine. Just keep the brace clean to allow as much light through as possible. I'm assuming its a typical clear brace...good luck and happy reefing!

Good question. I'm sure many didn't know the difference between the two and they do now.

I think it will look just fine. Suprisingly, underneath my brace seems to be a sweet spot for some of my corals. Blessing in disguise? Idk...you could always remove and replace. I do believe with that many bulbs it should be fine. Just keep the brace clean to allow as much light through as possible. I'm assuming its a typical clear brace...good luck and happy reefing!

Unfortunately the brace is black thumbsdown.gif

tumblr_m3on6qPmzB1rn6ys0.gif

how wide is it?

tumblr_m3on6qPmzB1rn6ys0.gif

how wide is it?

Exactly 2"

I would not remove a brace on any tank longer than 30" or so. You will get major bowing. Not sure what the glass can support, but I've seen it on a 48' tank and it was really scary.

A 2" brace shouldn't cast enough of a shadow to be significant. If you can avoid having high rockwork directly under it you shouldn't even see a shadow. Try it and you should be fine.

I've put a Kessill A150w over it, but I don't think that gives an accurate depiction of what it would look like with 640w of T5 over the tank. I'm nervous to try removing it and putting a glass center brace.

A 2" brace shouldn't cast enough of a shadow to be significant. If you can avoid having high rockwork directly under it you shouldn't even see a shadow. Try it and you should be fine.

I think you're right, Mike... I can't see it having too much of an impact. I was going to leave the middle free of rock, anyway!

i have 2 black braces on my 55g tank (maybe 1.5") and i have never noticed a shadow spot. the light sits practically on top of the bars, too. i suppose i have never had anything tall right under it, but it has been close by.

also, i have a white sandy bottom, but in a 24"ish tall tank, i don't know that reflection would make a difference.

if you want, i can ask the smarter member of the house if she has noticed. but i think you will be fine.

Archived