Hello

Planeden

Hi all. I have two FW tanks and am thinking of doing a saltwater tank. I have an empty 30g tall that may someday be an invert tank. But, admittedly, we are a bit intimidated at the moment (I'm not Borg, there are two intimidated people). I came on now to learn what I can. I will be seeking lots of advice before I start building anything. Thanks.

... welcome to the club..

Best advice I can give you.. Research research research.. and be patient! SW tanks take time to mature and the longer they mature the more success you will have. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions, but be prepared to get different answers on varying topics. You'll learn there are different ways to do things, but no one right way.

Welcome. This is a great place to learn and get support. Austin has some of the best fish stores anywhere as well.

It's a bit intimidating at first, but the principles are the same as a fresh water tank. Not sure what FW fish you keep, but I would argue reef keeping is easier than keeping higher end fish like discus or altum angelfish. Probably more expensive though.

Anyway, you already have the right idea. Research and take it slow before making any decision. Imitating someone with a tank you like is always a good way to get started as well. Best of luck.

Thanks everyone, i will appreciate any help and have learned through FW (7 years now?) that research is key and that you will never get the same advice twice.

Photodude: I try to take it all in and once i find a system that works for me more or less hone in on that person. So if you don't want to be that person, just give me bad advice :).

Jestep: We still keep mostly easy fish. They are pretty and, well, easy. But we are now learning more about QT tanks. We are restarting our 55 gallon (was semi-agressive) because we got a free fish. After two weeks on his own and looking fine, we put him in the 55 and a week later everything was dead. But since we get a fresh start, I think we are going to go with a bunch of community, peaceful fish, that will be relatively small but active. Minnows, rainbows, silver dollars, (not sure of the others, the list is downstairs). We then got ich in our 20 gallon planted tank, but in our defense it came in on a white fish. Thanks for the imitating advice. Seems obvious, but it never would have occured to me.

victoly: i will definately do that. I am much more interested in getting good equipment than constanly replacing the bad stuff. Fifty dollars more for a filter that runs forever is worth the money in hassel. When in doubt i will get anything the starts with Eheim. I love their stuff.

aquadome is probably where i will do most of my business. it is close by, the people are helpful, and everything seems to be good quality. i browsed their SW fish this weekend and they seem to have a really good selection. no fish i have gotten there has ever been a problem.

thanks again everyone.

victoly: i will definately do that. I am much more interested in getting good equipment than constanly replacing the bad stuff. Fifty dollars more for a filter that runs forever is worth the money in hassel. When in doubt i will get anything the starts with Eheim. I love their stuff.

I'm not sure you'll be able to find much for less than $50... :)

Eheim isn't quite as big in the reefing hobby as it is in the FW/Planted realm, but many folks still use their submersible pumps as return pumps (the eheim 1262 in particular is very popular).

it lost the part where it said "victoly said" "I'm not sure you'll be able to find much for less than $50... smile.png"

No, fifty dollars MORE than whatever cheaper option there is. But in saltwater i MAY be able to find an artifical plant for under fifty, right? perhaps a live pebble or cup of sand? ok, maybe i am taking this "SW is expensive" thing a little far.

Eheim isn't quite as big in the reefing hobby as it is in the FW/Planted realm, but many folks still use their submersible pumps as return pumps (the eheim 1262 in particular is very popular).
yes, that is what i am noticing. but, with guidance, i hope to be able to find the same sort of piece of mind/quality. Even if that would mean to hold off on setting up a tank to get the appropriate funds. and i will probably use the Eheim pumps like jestep. and i am still frying to figure out a way to use my Eheim 2213 that used to filter the 30g. "maybe i can take the return bar of and just use it as a powerhead" . maybe i am a dork.
i'll probably just save it in case the one on my 20g goes out, though.
Edited by Planeden

it lost the part where it said "victoly said" "I'm not sure you'll be able to find much for less than $50... smile.png"

No, fifty dollars MORE than whatever cheaper option there is. But in saltwater i MAY be able to find an artifical plant for under fifty, right? perhaps a live pebble or cup of sand? ok, maybe i am taking this "SW is expensive" thing a little far.

yes, that is what i am noticing. but, with guidance, i hope to be able to find the same sort of piece of mind/quality. Even if that would mean to hold off on setting up a tank to get the appropriate funds. and i will probably use the Eheim pumps like jestep. and i am still frying to figure out a way to use my Eheim 2213 that used to filter the 30g. "maybe i can take the return bar of and just use it as a powerhead" . maybe i am a dork.
i'll probably just save it in case the one on my 20g goes out, though.

I'm totally with you . I'll spend the money now to save heartache later, every time.

• Like 1

I'd done FW for more than 15 yrs and could set up a tank blindfolded. Last year I decided to try SW and after what I thought was a successful go at a 28g nano cube I decided to replace my 120g tropical tank with a full blown reef ready tank. I did research like everyone suggested, watched lots of videos and read lots of blogs / forums. One suggestion I would make is to go visit someone with a full set up and have them explain what everything does..that's one thing I didn't do. Sure, I'd ask questions on the forum and people would provide great info and pics but seeing it in person will go a long way to your success. I think it would be very beneficial to get a grasp of the entire set up before you start your plan..which is really like a house blueprint. Like Victoly said it's best to do it right the first time...I'm picking up a couple of pieces of glass today to alter my sump to get a little better flow. If you're up for a trip to Hutto I can give you some pointers from a "newbie" perspective

James

That's a great idea James, thanks. When i get closer to ready I will take you or someone up on that. I also may buy many of my first setup things locally so that I have the poeple at the store to talk to. It also gives me the instant gratification and doesn't leave me sitting on the front porch waiting for the delivery truck. And, if i go with a sump or something complicated, I may just buy a commercial one because I would think that those would have all the things done right. Or buy the materials and pay someone to put it together for/with me. But this is way premature. My girlfriend and I are reading about it and I am hearing more "no, mantis shrimp are scary" than "oh that's pretty" from her end of the couch. But I'm working on it.

That's a great idea James, thanks. When i get closer to ready I will take you or someone up on that. I also may buy many of my first setup things locally so that I have the poeple at the store to talk to. It also gives me the instant gratification and doesn't leave me sitting on the front porch waiting for the delivery truck. And, if i go with a sump or something complicated, I may just buy a commercial one because I would think that those would have all the things done right. Or buy the materials and pay someone to put it together for/with me. But this is way premature. My girlfriend and I are reading about it and I am hearing more "no, mantis shrimp are scary" than "oh that's pretty" from her end of the couch. But I'm working on it.

Be wary of the stores! Not to suggest that anyone will mislead you intentionally, but stores don't exist unless they sell product... Get opinions from end users, as they have nothing to gain or lose from their opinion except their reputation. If they have the same opinion as the LFS, awesome! Buy there! But I would strongly recommend against going in to a store blind and asking what to buy.

Thanks victoly, will do.

I forgot to mention, I did have a bit of winning point with the g/f yesterday. She got me to drag out a little 1 gal tank we have so she can get a betta. I said "well, if you are setting up a new tank...". I'm just hope she doesn't counter with, "you set up the QT this weekend". Of course, right now my QT tank is a snail only tank as a treat for ich. First time with ich. Daily water changes, monitoring, and dosing may give me an idea what i am in for on a reef, right?

Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission smile.png

yeah, but i want her to help with maintenance. i have to get her on board or only my hands will get dirty..errr...wet.

honestly, she is pretty cool. if i went and bought she would think i was nuts but not be upset. she is very on board with the "your money, do whatchoo want". if she is not going to help i suppose i could set it up in the office so she can't enjoy it. gotta earn your keep. if you want to see it clean the skimmer. ha