Film Algae Control

Mlaw

I have a 50 gallon cichild tank that I have been battling algae in for a bit. I had a Chinese algae eater that did a great job keeping the tank clean. He ate everything. And then one day he was gone.

The algae turned black and eventually I had to pull the rocks out and bleach them to get it off.

I put them back and they looked great for a few days but are now covered in brown/rust colored film algae.

I added two tiny bristle nose plecos and they are trying but they just aren't making a dint in the algae.

Anyone have any luck with chemical additives to control algae?

Do you have a picture of the algae, and what sort of lighting and water change schedule do you have?

Austin tap is pretty high in nutrients and add in that most cichlid tanks would have what's considered a high to extremely-high bioload, it's a pretty good recipe for all types of algae.

There's quite a few species of filming algae. Sounds like you might be having cyano which can be difficult to treat in fresh water. I've had some cyano varieties in the past that I had to treat with erythromycin. It's not near as easy to control in freshwater if you get a really malicious strain since freshwater tanks have many times the available nutrients of a reef tank.

If it's not cyano, my recommendation would be to pick up some FW nerite snails. They are typically pretty good at film algae and cannot reproduce in fresh water. It also will likely be a matter of adjusting the photo period and water change schedule. If you have old or poor quality lights that may be a contributor as well.

hadn't considered lighting. It does seem to be concentrated on one side of the tank. Maybe the bulb on that side is out. I'll replace and see what happens. Just installed a UV filter also.

What kind of cichlids do you keep? I've had planted tanks forever. I cannot imagine how cichlid tank people keep them looking clean with such high bioload and no plant matter. Is the algae soft and slimy or is it tough to scrape off?

I've got a mixed hap/peacock tank. I have noticed that as they have gotten bigger the algae has gotten harder to control but that may not be a causal link. Or it might.

mostly soft and slimy but not easy to get off the rocks.

my redtail shark seemed to help keep film algea under control. not sure how they get along with cichlids, though. i also like silver dollars, so that may help me out, too. i am also not very diligent with water changes once the tank is well established. but, i am a fan of over filtration. i use an eheim 2217 on my 55 gallon tank (if i remember it's meant for 160g).

but to your actual question, i have never used a product to deal with algea.

Archived