Plumbing for External Pumps

Mcjudge

I was thinking about buying a Snapper/Dart for my return. Here is the question is it ok to plumb a 90 into the intake? I am limited on space and it seems like the best idea for placement. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

1) I put a 90 deg elbow at the intake from the return chamber to draw water closer to the bottom,

2) used flexible hosing from sump to pump to isolate it from vibration as well as allow for some slop in alignment,

3) used hard pvc for the output because of a) increased pressure, b) incorporating manifold for various reactors, and c) needing to add a T to bleed off extra flow,

4) and using 2 45 deg elbows allowed for easier alignment of pump outlet to return bulkhead.

I have pictures of my plumbing for my external return pump here:

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/22832-mitchs-90g-ver20/?p=192064

We are in the process of doing the same thing with the same pump. We opted to build a custom sump, one that would allow more room with an external pump attached. Since that may not be an option for you, you can add the 90 elbow to it as suggested but it will make the pump a little a noisy Just don't restrict the flow or reduce the pipe to the pumps inlet which is massive at 2"

Have you thought about adding unions to both the inlet and outlet of the pump for easy maintenance? To save space we didn't put a union on the inlet side, but instead attached the pump to the bulkhead prior to attaching it to the sump so that the bulkhead's nut was inside the sump. so if we ever need to remove the pump we could just unscrew the outlets union and pull out the pump while still attached to the bulkhead. (2" unions are huge, at least 5")

So it went: bulkhead-MPT adapter->short piece of 2" pipe->MPT adapter->pump inlet.

Also I recommend what Mitch says on incorporating a manifold and bleed off extra flow. The pump is too powerful for my overflow box which is rated at 1800gph, so we either had to dial down returns using a ball valve or bleed off extra flow to the sump which doesnt restrict the pump and helps with the noise.

Here's a pic of my setup so far.

Good luck, the pump is awesome but its big.

post-2963-0-27505300-1363620322_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I haven't built the sump yet all it really will be is a 40 gallon breeder with some glass partitions. The thought was put the pump next to the sump running parallel to it length wise. Here is an idea though maybe drill 2 x 2" holes in the sump and Tee them together so you increase the amount of water it could pull... Maybe it won't affect the pump that much?

I don't know a lot about plumbing but I don't think its necessary to use the Tee's because it still ends up being 2" pipe into the pump. I think you'll be fine using the elbow, just try not to restrict flow out of the pump to keep the noise down as much as possible. It still sounds like a lot of space even if running parallel with the pump, 40g breeder+ elbow+an adapter + pump width is probably going to be at least 28" (18+4+6) if not more.

90 elbow has a high restriction to flow, try 2- 45 elbow that is better...

Though this seems logical, it is incorrect.

In The Reef Aquarium (vol 1) by Delbeek and Sprung they discuss why using (2) 45's is not better than one 90. Flow through the (2) is actually worse than using a single 90.

In The Reef Aquarium (vol 1) by Delbeek and Sprung they discuss why using (2) 45's is not better than one 90. Flow through the (2) is actually worse than using a single 90.

Is it due to the turbulence caused?

90 elbow has a high restriction to flow, try 2- 45 elbow that is better...

Though this seems logical, it is incorrect.

If you try a head loss calculater and plug in (1) 90 vs (2) 45's; the (2) 45's does reduce more flow slightly.

Ok so I am a bit still on the fence about using 1 pump & a manifold to run all my equipment.

Pros:

Less wattage on several fronts, in general compared to other pumps & less heat generated and passed into the water. So less time that the chiller runs.

Less Maintenance.

Cons:

If the 1 pump dies then the whole system is down for the count. (don't really want to keep a spare $400 pump lying around)

Feeding, So I have a controller that I would like to turn the return off while the system feeds. If you only have 1 return pump for everything it shuts the entire system down.

How do you guys handle those cons?

Personally I rather worry about one pump instead a multiple. I'm not keeping a back-up either (for now anyway), If the pump goes out I will use powerheads while I wait for replacement parts/pump to arrive overnight. If you did want a back-up, they are selling on ebay new out of box with warranty for ~$215

Another pro is the manifold is displacing flow from my return which otherwise would be too high for my overflow box.

• Like 1

If the pump dies have a spare on hand since you saved enough by only having 1 pump or atleast a seal kit/rebuild kit on hand it's a huge difference when it's needed.

Stopping the return during feeding can be done by closing valves to the DT and letting the pump cycle the sump or just kill power to the sump just don't fire up for 5 min to avoid damage from start/stop but if this is your plan realize it cuts the pump life down no matter the pump if your stop/starting the main pump to feed. I'd look into shutting down other flow sources first.

• Like 1

Helpful post. 1 of my next projects is an external pump. Actually came with 2 external pumps, but I think 1 will work. Also, it has what I believe is an external skimmer. Trigger Systems TS300. I'm not 100% sure since it's an older version and research on the net is scarce.