Look what is coming in the mail...

Is spending this much money on media and reactors that much better than good ol fashioned water changes and refugiums? What does this gain?[/quote

...not sure if serious...

Are you familiar with running zeovit? If not I really recommend reading up on it (it can be quite fascinating....not to mention the amazing tanks you get to see)

#1 regular weekly water changes are still necessary with zeovit

#2 Have you SEEN tanks running zeo? (Locally we have a handful in the club - rchavez I believe is one). I am doing it more for the feeding of corals than the creation of ultra low nutrient system (just an added benefit).

#3 I did not pay what that article claims the cost was but this is no more expensive than a vortech/radion/calcium reactor setup (items in which many of us have, including myself).

Do I really NEED a vortech? no, I could use a ton of maxijets, but they would take up more space, generate more heat, use more power, look terrible and have less features. Many things are about wants more than needs.

Sure you can diy a lot in this hobby and find great value deals (my mp40 was $50 on eBay). Part of the allure/markup of this reactor is the automation factor. Sure, you can just hang zeo in a bag, or put it in a TLF reactor...but then you have to actively agitate it daily (yes I like convenience).

It is like asking someone if their Neptune or reefkeeper is "worth it". Most people would prefer having the piece of mind that their controller is constantly monitoring their tank so they don't have to as much(although many times controllers can fail and cause issues most people still use , and to some extent, trust them).

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, just trying to explain.

TLDR: I like automation, I want to feed my corals and use an ultra-low nutrient system based on zeovit to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish these were cheaper. I've thought of doing a zeo or semi-zeo setup but the simple fact that it often adds more maintenance (not just in shaking zeo rocks) is a big turnoff. I will agree though that a properly executed zeo tank is incredible. Sort of the extreme other spectrum from a lagonal style tank.

That's awesome. That is the main reason I've never gone full zeo. I may need to order one now. I have heard rumors about those. Did you go with the 2L version?

Yes (it is all they have available currently as it isn't officially out yet) although it will only have 1L of zeo in it as it is for my 90. It can actually house more than 2L

• 3 weeks later...

Archived