Where to Buy sheet metal

Stephen

Looking to buy some sheet metal for a light fixture that I am building. Can anyone recommend any local shops? I'm looking for regular aluminum sheet metal under <.24 and perforated sheet under <.15

Also, has anyone cut this stuff before? I'm trying to decide if I want it professionally cut or not.

I use Westbrook metal. Not sure if they sell aluminum, never tried to buy any. They have always cut my metal for free. Also will sell it to you wholesale if you don't tell them otherwise. Are you going to weld it?

Thanks, I will give them a call. Good to know about the free cuts :) I need some pieces cut.

No, it's a fairly simple design. I'm building the actual fixture out of black 80/20 10 series 1x3" extrusion and that's going to be connected by bolts/screws. The aluminum sheet will be used to mount the LEDs and will fit in between the extrusion. Decided not to use a heatsink and go with large fans instead. The perforated sheet will be used for the top of the fixture to help with air flow and cooling.

I recently cut some 1/8" aluminum sheet on my table saw using a Freud LU77M010 10-inch 80 Tooth Non-Ferrous Metal blade. It cuts like butter (throws off a ton of flecks and pieces though). Timfish said he thought it had cleaner edges than most pieces he had seen from shops.

I recently cut some 1/8" aluminum sheet on my table saw using a Freud LU77M010 10-inch 80 Tooth Non-Ferrous Metal blade. It cuts like butter (throws off a ton of flecks and pieces though). Timfish said he thought it had cleaner edges than most pieces he had seen from shops.

That looks like a serious blade there. Would you want to help me cut a few pieces of extrusion? I don't think I could get a good cut with my circular saw and if your blade cuts better than the metal shop; then I'd rather use yours. smile.png

I went ahead and went with Westbrook/Metals4u for the aluminum sheet I needed. They were nice and $50 less than a few of the other online quotes I got. Thanks for those suggestions. I am still waiting to hear back on some quotes for the perforated sheet. That stuff seems to be pretty pricey. Every place I've checked only sells it in larger sheets costing up to $80 a panel.

That looks like a serious blade there. Would you want to help me cut a few pieces of extrusion? I don't think I could get a good cut with my circular saw and if your blade cuts better than the metal shop; then I'd rather use yours. smile.png

I went ahead and went with Westbrook/Metals4u for the aluminum sheet I needed. They were nice and $50 less than a few of the other online quotes I got. Thanks for those suggestions. I am still waiting to hear back on some quotes for the perforated sheet. That stuff seems to be pretty pricey. Every place I've checked only sells it in larger sheets costing up to $80 a panel.

PM'd

Archived