Anemone questions

ShawnM

I am looking into getting a green buble or rose anemone. My tank is still pretty new so I am waiting. I have been doing saltwater tanks for awhile now and always heard to wait 6months before adding an anemone. so that is always what I have done in the past. I was trying to think why do you wait 6 months before adding one or is this one of those myths. I couldnt come up with any reasonable answers why you have to wait 6 months.

anyone that could shed some light on this would be appreciated.

The 6 months to a year suggestion is mainly so the tank is more stable and has a better diversity of life in it. In my experience BTA's are more indestructible than many coral. But, when they get stressed out they tend to split, which is not a desirable trait for me. If you have experience keeping tanks and think you can keep one reasonably stable right out of the gate, I wouldn't see any problem with adding one fairly quickly. You still will want to make sure the tank is fully cycled and may want to wait for a few of the earlier algae stages that we naturally get, to pass.

I think if your tank is stable, and you have some experience, there is no need to wait 6 months.

I only waited 4 months for my first one, but I used rock from a tank that was being taken down and I think that helped. Sort of built in stability.

I think the 6 month rule mostly applies to brand new SW people.

All that said, I still think it's reasonable to wait at least a few months in order for the tank to stabilize to it's environment. I suppose one could argue that putting SPS into a brand new tank, and keeping them alive and growing, is more difficult than a BTA and yet we generally don't caution people to wait on them.

Yeah that is what I was thinking

The 6 months to a year suggestion is mainly so the tank is more stable and has a better diversity of life in it. In my experience BTA's are more indestructible than many coral. But, when they get stressed out they tend to split, which is not a desirable trait for me. If you have experience keeping tanks and think you can keep one reasonably stable right out of the gate, I wouldn't see any problem with adding one fairly quickly. You still will want to make sure the tank is fully cycled and may want to wait for a few of the earlier algae stages that we naturally get, to pass.

Just a question when you say a better diversity of life what life in the tank that benefits the anemone? I know that more stable the better. yeah the tank is about a month an a half and was having alot of temp issues but have them resolved. thanks for all the input

I think he means more diversity to make the tank as a whole more stable. I don't believe he was suggesting more diversity directly benefits the anemone itself, but improves the quality of the aquarium ecosystem, which in turns makes a better living environment for the anemone. At least that's what I think....

I accidentally added my baby RBTA at about 2 months and he has done just fine, other than getting into it with a peppermint shrimp a few times. He moved and closed up until I evicted the shrimp and now he's close to double in size.

I can't come up with a real reason that you have to wait unless you are starting from absolutely scratch. Dry rock, etc. If you are starting with live rock etc and you can keep the parameters stable I can't figure out why you can't add one early.

I was referring to the Gig 'em's explanation. Over time you end up with many micro and macro organisms, as well as matured bacteria populations. It takes time for these to build up but contribute to a healthy tank because of the functions that they perform. I don't think any of these would directly affect the health of the anemone.

Archived