Shawn's 55 build

ShawnM

Well I got this tank in a trade so here I go back in to the addiction of saltwater. I have an emperor 400 a coral life 2x54 t5 (will upgrade to at least a4 bulb). Ordered two maxi jet 1200 and will be running them in circulation mode. Not sure how much rock is in it and 25-30 lbs right now. Added new water and set it up.

The tank was in bad shape when I got it so took all live stock the LF store on trade.

Plans- upgrade the light run a aqua c remora later when I have the funds. A hob refugium.

Don't know how to add a pic but will try to figure it out

Also what to add a sump to this later I can't drill the tank all glass is tempered. So I am trying to figure out the best way to do an over flow but don't really want a big overflow box.

I don't know how else to do it that is why I decided to do a hob refugium

Also what to add a sump to this later I can't drill the tank all glass is tempered. So I am trying to figure out the best way to do an over flow but don't really want a big overflow box.

I don't know how else to do it that is why I decided to do a hob refugium

Are you certain that its tempered? That looks like an AGA or Marineland tank. Most are tempered on the bottom, but not the back.

on the bottom of the tank a sticker saying all panels are tempered. I have another tank in my garage just dont know if it holds water and is glass. I am going to try to drill that one my self and if i can get it done. I will switch out tanks at some point.

8387845761_ab954f8485_m.jpg

Here is the beginning of the frame. This part is the bottom and will go around the tank lip

8388934808_0d47f50aa8_m.jpg

This is the top

8388931060_eeff3c628d_m.jpg8387849203_b212f02b90_m.jpg

So I got a little carried away and didnt take anymore pictures of the build.

Here is the final product on the tank

8387838953_2df95e0fce_m.jpg8388939542_8ca15fcfc9_m.jpg

a pic of the inside of the tank8387837269_5dbb2e6bb4_m.jpg

I added a home made pendant out of a broken halide fixture. I will take some pic of the inside of the canopy later and the pendant.

So now I have 2x54 t5 and 150 watt metal halide lights running.

I am wondering if I leave one white and one blue in t5 and 20k halide or 2 blue in t5 and 14k halide what do you all think

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build how much did it cost to build your canopy as i have to make a custom one for my 56 column

Around 60 dollars. should have been a little cheaper but messed up on one or two cuts not taking everything in to consideration like the thinkness of the panels.

I really liked doing it if you want any help let me know. it would have been alot nicer if I built the stand too. but it came with the tank and money is tight. So I had to try to match the stand

Nice build how much did it cost to build your canopy as i have to make a custom one for my 56 column
Around 60 dollars. should have been a little cheaper but messed up on one or two cuts not taking everything in to consideration like the thinkness of the panels. I really liked doing it if you want any help let me know. it would have been alot nicer if I built the stand too. but it came with the tank and money is tight. So I had to try to match the stand

I have an akward stand made out of wood metal and glass so matching it is not necessary for me but i will be making one for my 75 eventually

Around 60 dollars. should have been a little cheaper but messed up on one or two cuts not taking everything in to consideration like the thinkness of the panels. I really liked doing it if you want any help let me know. it would have been alot nicer if I built the stand too. but it came with the tank and money is tight. So I had to try to match the stand

I have an akward stand made out of wood metal and glass so matching it is not necessary for me but i will be making one for my 75 eventually

If you want a hand let me know and if I am able I will help. I really enjoyed doing mine. I was trying to take pic through the whole build and got so caught up into it for got to take pics on over half the build

• 3 months later...

Time for an update. I have recently just added my sump and in the excitment of finally finding one that would fit under my stand I took absolutely no pictures. I ended up using an external cpr overflow and mag 3 for my return pump. I also switched to a 4 bulb t5 light. and upgraded on of my maxijet to a tunze 6045(I think it is that on) and plan on upgrading the onther one soon, unless I get one of the jabeo 25 wavemakers. I just had a massive rock slide and pretty much destroyed one of my monti caps. I will take some new pics and post them on here as soon as I can.

Cool tank. I've got a 55 also so it's always good to see others. They're not as popular due to the front to back limitations. I think the lights look good as is honestly. If you hated the color (I think it's ok personally) you could try a 14000k halide and two ati blue+ t5s. I like how you were able to create as much negative space as you did. I've certainly struggled with that. As long As you adequately maintain calcium and alkalinity, that broke. Monti will grow back together in no time flat