Stingrays

Niko's Reef

Not familiar with dimensions. How many gallons would that equate to? I thought u had to do live rock 1.5 how many gallons u have? Does that not pertain to this? I know they need a lot of sand and space to roam, but I thought live rock was an essential.

Not familiar with dimensions. How many gallons would that equate to? I thought u had to do live rock 1.5 how many gallons u have? Does that not pertain to this? I know they need a lot of sand and space to roam, but I thought live rock was an essential.

The 1.5 per gallon rule is such a myth. Kinda like the watts per gallon for lighting. I've never used that much rock. I use maybe .75 pounds per gallon without ever having a problem. You may need more if you are way over stocked. You can always stuff as much rock in your sump as possible to give you more room in your display.

• Like 1

I did quite a bit of research on them a while back. The tank footprint is more important than volume for longterm survival, most successful stories I read were 4 x 8 or larger. Depth isn't especially important so you can theoretically get a way with much lower DT volume and a large footprint. You have roughly 7.5 gallons of water per cubic foot. Multiply the dimensions of the water and then multiply by 7.48 for the actual volume. So a 4 x 8 x 2 ft tank would be 64 cubic feet. Multiplied by 7.48 would be 479 gallons. You can keep the live rock in the sump to keep the DT clear. I've seen a lot of tanks with some live rock in them, but I think it's a risk since they can damage their disc if it is really sharp like a lot of live rock is. Holey rock would probably be a lot better then much of the sharp live rock out there.

Stock selection was probably the single most important factor for initial survival, in both species selection and health. There's only a few species that are even remotely suitable. Blue Spotted (not ribbontail), cortez, and yellow seem to be the only suitable and hardy enough for a home tank.

I agree that the tank footprint is the most important thing for rays. Your basic ray like the California Ray gets about 10" across so your standard 18" wide tank isn't big enough. You need a min of 180g and a min width of 24". Shallow tanks make good ray homes because they are wide and long rather than high. You also want to keep a good 4" of sand in there for the rays to be able to fully bury themselves and look for food.

Live rock can be a hazard to them, but I've seen pillars being utilized with success. Rock stacks with a 3-5" base, going straight up to the top of the water. I think it looks pretty cool.

No problem Jestep. I just didn't really understand the conversion to gallons, and you explained it thoroughly to me. My wife is cool with this all, but I don't think she would be that cool with a 500g tank. Lol. Stingrays are actually both of our desires. I've been looking at 200 on up, that are wide. Thought I had 1 in Dallas, but somebody beat me to it.