Help moving large established reef

HoneysReef

Hi all,

I am writing in to see if anyone has some tips on moving a large established reef. I am moving out to Austin from San Diego. The total system volume is about 300 gallons. My thought was to load everything up in my truck and have the livestock in bins with heaters and power heads and drive straight through from San Diego and then have someone local with the water ready when I get there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff

There should be a vid on mrsaltwatertank.com about moving. One of our members here has a huge water container on a trailer but you have a good plan. I would see if you can get someone to get it set up for you beforehand since its enough to break down the tankl and make the drive.

I moved from SoCal to Austin with my nanocube. Granted it was tiny and all I had were softies and a monti or two but it came out fine after a 24hr drive. I figured at the time if you can ship corals overnight and they are fine, no different then driving them overnight. The main issue would be to have a ready and cycled tank in Austin for the corals. Maybe you can pay a LFS to hold corals for you once you arrive and can cycle a tank.

Thanks for the tips guys. I know its not going to be easy but I really would like to keep my livestock. I have one acro that is the size of a basketball and a bellus angel that is 5 years old among other stuff that I wouldn't be able to replace.

Awesome!!! Pics of the basketball acro please.

Lots of buckets. The corals should do fine without circultaion but it won't hurt. Can you have a holding system already setup and running? That would give you more time to setup your 300 the way you want without being rushed.

We are not exactly sure yet. We have family in the Cedar Park area, so we will most likely rent there for a little while until we can find a nice house. Family are looking for a place to rent now. As far as the date, it will be really soon. We just accepted an offer on our house in california and only have a 30 day escrow. Provided everything went smooth, we would need to have it out by Jan 21. Any help would be great.

• 1 month later...

Well, the move is complete and it looks like there were no casualties so far. Knock on wood. Our bellus angel and one of our clarkii clowns are still acting weird but hopefully they will pull through.

We ended up bagging each individual coral, frag and fish (about 300 bags) and putting pure oxygen in the bags. We then put the bags in Styrofoam shipping boxes with packing peanuts and loaded them in our trailer. A word of advice for anyone who might try to do this is to make sure each fish has a large bag with plenty of water. It seemed that the fish that were in the medium bags didn't travel as well as the ones in large bags

As far as moving the tank, we ended up just transporting it as a single unit with the tank and stand together. We removed the doors and used 2x4s through the front and back to lift it with 4 guys, which worked like a charm.

After a 9 hours of packing and loading and a straight thru drive that took exactly 24 hours we arrived in Texas and spent the next 12 hours setting everything back up. We ended up using the large troth from tractor supply company to have water made and ready when we got here.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I will try to post some pictures when I can.

• Like 1

Nice work. I bet that was quite a nervous drive. I remember moving from Dallas to Austin with my fish and I was a nervous wreck and that was only a 3 hr drive, not 24 hrs.

It was crazy. I wouldn't want to have to do it again. Luckily we are staying in Texas.