Juiceman's Desktop 10g Reef

Juiceman

Ok so one of my co-workers came to my house warming party and saw my 200g Reef and was amazed. For a Christmas gift she picked my up a 1 Gallon fish bowl kit from Wal-Mart. I liked the idea of having a small tank in my office at school but I didn't want it to be that small!

So we went and switched it to a 10 Gallon tank.

I already had an extra marineland hang on filter for carbon and foam filtering from an old tank, so I pulled 10 gallons out of my 200g reef and 2 pieces of Live Rock from my tank also and here we go!

post-1783-0-19340800-1355242440_thumb.jp

Note: She loved the little neon island she picked out, so I kept it! LOL

I'm already talking to Nick at BuildmyLED.com about getting a 12" fixture to hang over the tank.

I'd like to keep it simple and have softies, Zoas, Mushrooms, ETC. Nothing high maintenence since they do turn off the a/c sometimes here.

A few questions?

What are some small fish that I can put in that would be self sufficient in that they won't starve over the weekends?

Do I need to get a nano Skimmer?

I'm probably going to add a koralia Nano just to keep things moving, any other suggestions?

You could get one of those Eheim auto feeders. A Tunze 9002 nano skimmer would be awesome but maybe overkill. I'd think with weekly WC you'd be ok.

As far as fish go, I'd go with something like a royal gramma or maybe a 6 line. Colorful, hardy, will keep the kids interested. Maybe a clown.

All I have are nano tanks, I love them! My 10gal has 2 clownfish (both ocellaris), and a pair of target gobies (eating frozen). I've never had a problem with nutrient export, as I put some macro in the DT for decoration, and also try to do water changes about every 1-2 weeks. They key is making sure you dont have any voracious eaters that rip food apart and make a mess in the water. Most fish tend to do ok without feedings over a weekend, just make sure you feed heavy on Fri afternoon before you leave and then early Mon morning.

Something you should always want to consider for a tank you leave with any kind of goby, would be a lid. Eggcrate is really easy to cut to fit around your HOB filter!

a small goby (panda, christmas, yashi) would do ok (maybe even a pistol shrimp combo)

Convert that HOB to a fuge

skimmer wouldn't hurt but I find frequent water changes help more than a skimmer on these small tanks

I was thinking about having a pistol shrimp, I've always liked them but felt like I would lose it in the big tank.

All I have are nano tanks, I love them! My 10gal has 2 clownfish (both ocellaris), and a pair of target gobies (eating frozen). I've never had a problem with nutrient export, as I put some macro in the DT for decoration, and also try to do water changes about every 1-2 weeks. They key is making sure you dont have any voracious eaters that rip food apart and make a mess in the water. Most fish tend to do ok without feedings over a weekend, just make sure you feed heavy on Fri afternoon before you leave and then early Mon morning.

Something you should always want to consider for a tank you leave with any kind of goby, would be a lid. Eggcrate is really easy to cut to fit around your HOB filter!

I was wondering about that. I have some eggcrate at home and some netting. Might have to make something.

Basically, if you're not going to be there to see/hear them jump out and rescue them, put a lid on it haha. The eggcrate hasnt affected the growth of my softies (GSP, mushrooms) or anemone significantly, so don't be worried about that! If you just measure how big the HOB is on the tank, and then maybe also cut out a space for the heater wire, you should be good to go with a perfectly fit lid! Also, since it doesnt have to be EXACT like a divider in a tank would, you can literally just cut it with scissors (wear safety goggles, the pieces really fly!)

And +1 on the temperature control...nanos change VERY quickly. I woke up this morning to find mine at 66 because I forgot to turn my apartment heater on last night. You may want to consider a heater (adjustable thats rated for your tank size are usually best) and maybe even a baby chiller for the summer. I honestly have never had a problem with tank temp during the summer (I keep my apartment near 80), only the winter.

Basically, if you're not going to be there to see/hear them jump out and rescue them, put a lid on it haha. The eggcrate hasnt affected the growth of my softies (GSP, mushrooms) or anemone significantly, so don't be worried about that! If you just measure how big the HOB is on the tank, and then maybe also cut out a space for the heater wire, you should be good to go with a perfectly fit lid! Also, since it doesnt have to be EXACT like a divider in a tank would, you can literally just cut it with scissors (wear safety goggles, the pieces really fly!)

And +1 on the temperature control...nanos change VERY quickly. I woke up this morning to find mine at 66 because I forgot to turn my apartment heater on last night. You may want to consider a heater (adjustable thats rated for your tank size are usually best) and maybe even a baby chiller for the summer. I honestly have never had a problem with tank temp during the summer (I keep my apartment near 80), only the winter.

During the summer I'm going to take it home. So I think it'll be fine there.

I have a heater already.

They definitly cut the AC/Heat at 5 each day. But it's typically cold in here all the time anyway so I think the heater will work out fine. it's rated for way more than 10 gals, I had it in a 55.

Ok Here's the tank now.

I added

1 True Percula Clown

1 Small Blue Hippo (Will move to my 200 once big enough) hides from Tang Police

1 Yellow Watchman Goby

1 Pistol Shrimp

And I have a 1' Build My LED fixture with their custom reef spectrum minus 1 6500k white, and added 1 UV 400nm LED.

So far so good! Will start adding corals on Sunday from my 200g. Pic is taken with an Iphone. True colors are pretty excellent!

post-1783-0-99461100-1355530645_thumb.jp

I'm planning on adding a harlequin and maybe a porcelain crab. but that's about it.

It's coming together well. I added a few zoas, mushrooms, Xenia, and a birdsnest colony that I had extra from my 200. Things seem to be doing well.

I made a top for the tank with black egg crate and black netting that I had so I hopefully won't have any jumpers.

Here's an updated pic.

post-1783-0-90252500-1356216719_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

I added a Tunze 9002 so I had to do some rearranging but I like it a little better I think.

I added a few more corals from my 200 that I had for Sale and no ever picked up, and also picked up a Harlequin Shrimp and Tail Spot Blenny.

I've had some Cyano since starting the tank so I added some GFO in a filter back in my HOB and it seems to be killing it off.

Here's some updated pics!

post-1783-0-00058500-1357764821_thumb.jp

post-1783-0-12625000-1357764827_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This tank started doing really bad, having cyano and corals starting to die and losing fish, so I shut it down. I decided to turn the 10g into a sump for a 20L and to reset it up drilled and more like my setup at home.

This is how it currently looks!

post-1783-0-13518000-1363196656_thumb.jp