Lets talk about return pumps

madsalt

So I recently started using a sump and I have already been through 3 pumps trying to find a quiet one. I have used a an aqueon 2300, aquatic life 3300 and a sicce syncra 3.0 So far they have been too loud for me.

Someone please help me out and give me some ideas as to who you think makes a quiet pump.

With my Danner Mag pump I was originally getting a lot of noise from it vibrating on the sump glass. I purchased a waterproof sound dampening pad to go under it and it solved the problem. Can you identify what the source of the sound is? (if you hold the pump does the sound go away?)

I have a mag drive 18 on a piece of inert packing foam and can't complain. My Reef Octopus protein skimmer pump is louder. On a smaller tank, I've had an eheim as well and thought it was a little loud until I padded it. So I'd say whatever you do, put a pad under it :)

Another thought, try sound deadening materials around the area you have the sump.

I picked up a Tunze today and for the most part it seems ok. I have some humming at this point. The pump is hard plumbed, perhaps I should go with tubing, I run my media reactor off the return so tubing is a pain switching sizes. The pump has suction cups under it so if I add a mouse pad under it will that help even more?

Archived