Using a carbon bag...

kmacc05

So I have a 55g with a CPR hang on refugium/skimmer. My water is usually pretty clear, but after seeing a few member's tanks, it got me thinking. My water is cloudy as hell compared to others I've seen. I started reading about carbon and found this link. http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2008/05/09/does-a-reef-tank-need-carbon/

It's got me thinking about buying some activated carbon and a bag and just dropping it in to the refugium after the skimming section. From this article and other forums, I've learned that carbon really helps soak up organics and polish the water to give the crystal clear look I seem to be missing. I also have been dealing with a small spike in nitrites and am wondering if this carbon trick will help reduce that by getting rid of organics in the tank.

Anyone have any insight on this? I really want to have crystal clear water like I have seen in other tanks.

I run a bag of activated carbon in my sump. The siphon line from the overflow box lays right on top of a carbon bag with very course mesh. It's ideally used in a reactor, but I don't have a reactor. Putting it in the sump in an area with flow I think is better than not using any at all.

I've seen an improvement in my water since using it. Toward the end of its life I notice algae growing a bit more. Go for it. It can only help. Ideally you'll want a reactor though.

Edited by Bpb

Activated carbon is crucial. Other filtration methods can be debated, but even if you are doing weekly water changes on a 5g pico using no other filtration than live rock and sand, you should be running carbon. Aesthetics aside, it also removes the allelopathic chemicals your various reef inhabitants use to conduct territorial warfare on each other. Running carbon will greatly improve the health of your livestock, which IMO is even more important than water clarity.

I run a bag of activated carbon in my sump. The siphon line from the overflow box lays right on top of a carbon bag with very course mesh. It's ideally used in a reactor, but I don't have a reactor. Putting it in the sump in an area with flow I think is better than not using any at all.

I've seen an improvement in my water since using it. Toward the end of its life I notice algae growing a bit more. Go for it. It can only help. Ideally you'll want a reactor though.

I don't have a setup that a reactor will work with. The hang on refugium has decent flow through it and I was thinking of hanging it to where the bag of carbon is right in the middle of that flow. I didn't want to just drop it in to where it rests on the bottom where there is probably the least amount of flow. Thanks for the input!

Activated carbon is crucial. Other filtration methods can be debated, but even if you are doing weekly water changes on a 5g pico using no other filtration than live rock and sand, you should be running carbon. Aesthetics aside, it also removes the allelopathic chemicals your various reef inhabitants use to conduct territorial warfare on each other. Running carbon will greatly improve the health of your livestock, which IMO is even more important than water clarity.

ok awesome. The only means in filtration I am using now is the live rock/sand and the refugium/skimmer combo that hangs on the back of the tank. I figured carbon would help, but I've also read other people's comments stating that for reef tanks carbon is no good. I will be buying some on the way home. How long do you think it will take to notice a difference? And do you think it will help with the little bit of nitrites I am dealing with? +1 on livestock health!

I'd say you should see a difference overnight.

I'd almost say place it in the outflow path, as close to the end as you can, in order to get good flow as well as help remove any micro bubbles that may contribute to a cloudy appearance.

Doubt it will help much with the nitrites.

I use Aquaclear HOB filters on all of my systems, and use activated carbon bags in every one of them. I use the pre-filter sponge and carbon only. Some I connect to surface skimmers and others I use the standard intake.

You sound as if you have not used carbon before. Just in case you haven't, be sure to rinse it off before you use it, and get all the 'dust' out.

Agree with Rob. It won't do anything to the nitrates. I change mine every couple of weeks when I remember to clean the glass and change water. I could probably use to change it more often

• Like 1

I'd say you should see a difference overnight.

I'd almost say place it in the outflow path, as close to the end as you can, in order to get good flow as well as help remove any micro bubbles that may contribute to a cloudy appearance.

Doubt it will help much with the nitrites.

I tried placing it in the outflow section but it blocks the hole and my fuge started filling up and almost overflowed. Im going to try moving it closer to that section just not in the way.

I use Aquaclear HOB filters on all of my systems, and use activated carbon bags in every one of them. I use the pre-filter sponge and carbon only. Some I connect to surface skimmers and others I use the standard intake.

You sound as if you have not used carbon before. Just in case you haven't, be sure to rinse it off before you use it, and get all the 'dust' out.

Agree with Rob. It won't do anything to the nitrates. I change mine every couple of weeks when I remember to clean the glass and change water. I could probably use to change it more often

I decided to go with chemi pure. Ive used carbon in my freshwater tanks. Just the prepackaged ones. I did make sure to rinse it off first. Its nitrites im dealing with. I was hoping it would soak up organics to help with them.

also, if I move it closer to the outflow to get a better flow of water of the chemi pure, it would be almost resting on my chaeto. Will it harm the chaeto if its near? I can move the chaeto but then it would be touching the heater or be really close to touching the heater. Will either one of the solutions harm the chaeto?

And if your water is yellow or cloudy, the carbon can clear it up very fast and let your light shine way brighter on your corals. It could shock them a bit. Just something to keep in mind.

I put my carbon in a bag in my sump for about 1 week out of each month, in one of my baffles in my sump. In that area, flow is funneled and is faster than in other areas, but is not reactor speed or anything. I do that to minimize the carbon dust distribution in my tank.