Live Rock / Dry Rock

SChrisEV

I'm looking for the best possible price I can get for some live rock, and if not that then some dry rock. I think I need (read want) about 50 to 75 more lbs. Please let me know if you have any you want to part with!

Thanks so much!

lol great question... is the lowest price possible a range? :) Well, I've seen people have priced live rock around $2.00/lbs on here, and while that is pretty good, I'm trying to "get it all" on a tight budget. So if someone is willing/able to be lower than that... awesome.

If your looking for under $3lb. then your best bet would be to scourge the for sale section but what I would do is buy 50-75 lbs. of dry reef saver rocks from BRS then a couple pieces of LR to seed it all. Would come out much cheaper and everything will color up within a month.

I use local limestone honeycomb and flagstone in all my tanks just be sure to hose it off real well. I will use some good quality live rock that has lots of sponges and stuff on it. The last place I ordered some stuff from ws floridaliverock.com but there are others as well. You will need to cure it 4 weeks (quarintine) in a tank with a pump or airline for circultaion. This lets anything that died get broken down so it doesn't cause an ammonia spike and lets you find any unwanted hitchhikers. Be aware some cultured live rock may just have the basicnitrifying bacteria and a little coraline algae on it, this will help your system get going but is missing many of the beneficial animals for establishing an marine ecosystem you get from rock that was collected from the open ocean.

Thanks for the input Brain, I have looked at a couple of those options BRS and another. I may end up going that route. I was HOPING to find a local source that I could maybe pick it up this weekend. I'd rather keep the transaction "off the books" if you know what I mean. Ordering online kinda removes this option.

Tim, if I went the dry rock route, what kinda "gotchas" do I need to worry about? I have (or can get) access to a quarry that has a TON of rock stacked up. I did not really think about that as an option. I love the idea, put the money toward some LEDs instead of rock. Won't limestone leach stuff into the water, or even other rock?

I do have 50lbs of live rock in the tank now so I have some biological filtration going now.

Thanks for the input Brain, I have looked at a couple of those options BRS and another. I may end up going that route. I was HOPING to find a local source that I could maybe pick it up this weekend. I'd rather keep the transaction "off the books" if you know what I mean. Ordering online kinda removes this option

Cash only, so the wife doesn't kill you. Check :)

Tim, if I went the dry rock route, what kinda "gotchas" do I need to worry about?

If you're going to do a mix of dry limestone and live rock, the only complaint I have is aesthetics. I think the mix of purple and porous looks strange next to typical limestone. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder on this one.

I have (or can get) access to a quarry that has a TON of rock stacked up. I did not really think about that as an option. I love the idea, put the money toward some LEDs instead of rock.

Won't limestone leach stuff into the water, or even other rock.

Nope. As long as it hasn't been exposed to chemicals (pesticides, etc), you should be fine.

I do have 50lbs of live rock in the tank now so I have some biological filtration going now.

Thanks for the input Brain, I have looked at a couple of those options BRS and another. I may end up going that route. I was HOPING to find a local source that I could maybe pick it up this weekend. I'd rather keep the transaction "off the books" if you know what I mean. Ordering online kinda removes this option

Cash only, so the wife doesn't kill you. Check smile.png

Tim, if I went the dry rock route, what kinda "gotchas" do I need to worry about?

If you're going to do a mix of dry limestone and live rock, the only complaint I have is aesthetics. I think the mix of purple and porous looks strange next to typical limestone. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder on this one.

I have (or can get) access to a quarry that has a TON of rock stacked up. I did not really think about that as an option. I love the idea, put the money toward some LEDs instead of rock.

Won't limestone leach stuff into the water, or even other rock.

Nope. As long as it hasn't been exposed to chemicals (pesticides, etc), you should be fine.

Cash only, so the wife doesn't kill you. Check -- Exactomundo!