where does the filter go in reef ready aquarium

fightinghippo

Right now i have a 55 gallon tank on which i am running two filters one eheim canister filer ( not sure about model #) and one marineland hob emperor 400.

I am moving up t a90 gallon tank with 30 g sump. Can i put the filters in the sump to keep the main clean clear of any pipes?

Also do i need both filters? i may not have space for both in the sump.

I would ditch the filters and use a filter sock or filter floss in the sump and change it weekly to bi-weekly. You basically direct the incoming flow to the sump through the sock or floss.

It's up for debate still, but it's typically assumed that canister filters on marine tanks build up too much detritus and thus end up releasing a bunch of NO3 back into the tank. They work well in FW because it's not uncommon to run 20 - 50ppm NO3, but that's not a good thing in a reef tank.

Using media that is frequently changed like a sock or floss prevents this from happening. You should have plenty of bacteria in the tank's rock and substrate to handle the biological filtration.

It's a little small, but I would run it until you get something larger. Check the used equipment section here, possible on MAAST, or other forums. I think it's worth it to get a good brand skimmer, but a used one should work just as well as new. Precision Marine, Deltec, Octopus, Bubble Magus, Tunze, many more... There's not a huge amount of difference in efficiency by shape or brand, so just get a good brand in the correct size range for the tank.

They're reusable, but mine never stay white forever. I change them when they discolor too much.

Once a week I switch the filter sock with a spare that is already clean and dry. The dirty ones I clean with fresh water and soak them for a day in a little bleach water. After they are dry they are ready to used again.

i found a post on another forum where they were using filter socks used for milk filtering

The post --> http://www.reef-geeks.com/forums/reef-geeks/5124-disposable-filter-socks.html

the product --> http://www.fleetfarm.com/mff/detail/milkhouse-brand-heavy-duty-milk-filter-socks-2-1-4-in-x-12-in-/0000000001458

they cost about $14 for 100 of these. What do you guys think??

As long as they don't clog too quickly those looks better than a normal filter sock and you don't need to worry about cleaning them. I would use a plastic tube clamp instead of a rubber band but otherwise that should be perfect.

I'm curious how often you would need to replace those. It would be nice to not have to clean but at the same time If I'm having to change it daily it gets to be a hassle in my eyes. I'd have to wet the new filter, install the pipe, install the clamp and remount the pipe.

I'm more for the reuseable socks, just have a clean one on stand by pull the dirty and drop in the clean. no preppng each filter. Turn the filter inside out and spray it off in the shower then toss it into a bleach bucket to soak. Replace them as the get too dirty, but each 1 lasts 1 week between cleaning. at .89 cents each if you replaced them daily you spend 6.23 plus have to prep and remount a pipe each time. reuseable filter socks are 5.99 and last several uses.

I can't see the dispossable really helping my situation. but if you can get away with changing them weekly then it becomes more feesible and I'd love to try them.