Please allow me to introduce myself

lewisweil

I've been here on-and-off for awhile but I've never introduced myself. I'm Lewis. I've been in Austin since 2006. I am originally from El Paso and went to school at A&M. I am a biologist in the biotech industry by day and active in fish and other stuff at night. I am buddies with the crew at Fish Gallery and I am helping them with community outreach while they get their new Austin location up and running. I run Austin Sea Veggies,a small culinary seaweed farm located at Agua Dulce farms. I also run Nerd Nite- Austin a speaker series, where I sneak in marine biology talks as often as I can.

Currently I actually don't have any tanks running other than my seaweed farm. I work on other peoples tanks and think and plan about aquariums and don't really have the energy to do them at home. Though that will probably change once the Austin Fish Gallery opens and I won't be able to help myself.

When I was a student at A&M i worked in bioaquatics taking care of their aquaria including their reef tanks and saltwater lab tanks. I have worked with sharks. My smallest tank was a 2liter reef in a bottle. My biggest was the sharks. I've also kept and bred freshwater fish and plants. I worked in a fish store as kid in high school. My earliest memories include aquariums. So long and short, I am a fish nerd.

Come say in person sometime. I'll be the next Fish Gallery social or at a Nerd Nite event.

Hi Lewis! I'm really excited to hear about your seaweed farm--I had thought about doing something similar back when I was farming coral, but the area I lived in at the time just didn't have enough interest. And you've got your fingers in all sorts of interesting social events, too! Thi is good for me, since my primary goal for being on this site is to meet new people. biggrin.png

Welcome to the club! It's been interesting reading your posts so far. I saw the story about you on slashdot a while back and had no idea you were that guy, pretty cool!! I'm originally from Las Cruces (up the road from El Paso) and also went to A&M, class of '03. Nice to have another aggie in the group :)

Welcome to the club! It's been interesting reading your posts so far. I saw the story about you on slashdot a while back and had no idea you were that guy, pretty cool!! I'm originally from Las Cruces (up the road from El Paso) and also went to A&M, class of '03. Nice to have another aggie in the group smile.png

That guy and this guy are the same guy! I had a lot of friends in Las Cruces. New Mexico has a special place in my heart.

edit: thanks and gig'em. FTAC of '05

Hi.

oh hey.

Hi Lewis,

Good to get some background info on you. Like I said in your BSBE thread, let me know the next time you go to A&M. I'll definitely help out. In the meantime, if you want to stop by and see my tank, let me know. I'll try and make it to the social tomorrow night as well.

• Like 1