Decent Water Test Kits?

prettyfishy76

I have been using API kits for many years, even back when I kept freshwater aquariums. It seemed as if they worked well enough, but recently, I am finding it difficult to get accurate readings from my kit. What other test kits do you all use? I keep seahorses, so I would like the test kit(s) to be fairly accurate and consistent. I want to test for pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Phosphate, Calcium, and kH.

Salifert have been the best I've used, but they are admittedly very expensive if you are going to buy the whole set of them.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about Ammonia and NO2 once your tank is established. You shouldn't ever have detectable ammonia or nitrite unless something really bad happens in which case I can guarantee you wont need a test kit to tell you something is wrong.

I use API for pH, calcium and alkalinity. Elos for phosphates. (I don't bother much with ammonia, nitrite or nitrate.) The different articles I've seen comparing the different brands/manufacturers typically show most of the colormetric type tests are realatively reliable but also open to interpretation depending on the perceptions of the tester. It is important to store any reagents properly and don't use old stuff, I usually by new kits yearly.

Like most of you I have been using a mixture of test kits and I bet like many of of you, I have never really trusted my results. At MACNA I met the owner of Aquariumwatertesting.com and decided that having my water tested in labratory conditions and with more accurate testing methods was the right thing for my tank. I'm sending them samples every Monday and have only been doing it for two weeks. For now I'm still doing my own battery of test and it has been interesting comparing the two. Here's the report from last week's test:

www.aquariumwatertesting.com - .pdf

They also place all the past results into colored charts which is not that interesting yet, having only completed two rounds of tests. I plan on starting a thread about it once I have a couple of months' tests completed. It costs between $24 to 42 for a single battery of tests depending on how may tests you buy up front. Of course that's really expensive when you compare it to doing the tests yourself but I'm looking at it as cheap insurance for the thousands of dollars of fish and coral I have in my tank.

Here's some links on testing, The one by Dr. Tim is pretty interesting but doesn't actually deal with a specific brand per se:

http://dfwmas.org/files/TestKitAnalysis.pdf

Aquarium Chemistry: An attempt to test test kits

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/6/chemistry

Dr. Tim's Test review

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPiDRid_Km8

The new red sea kits are pretty easy to read and they have refills available so you don't have to buy a new kit every time. Been using their Alk, Ca. and Mg kits and they are pretty consistent. For phosphates, IMO you can't beat the hanna checker.

I check the following parameters in my tank, now on a monthly basis:

pH - Apex probe

Temp- Apex probe

Salinity - hydrometer and refractometer

Ca - Red Sea Test Kit

Alk - Hanna Meter

Phosphate - Hanna Meter (sometimes test every 2 weeks)

Iron - Red Sea Test Kit (rarely test)

I like the Red Sea test kits, so ditto to what RobR said.

It all depends on what type of tank you are running. Personally, when I first started, all I tested was temperature and salinity. I also only kept softies and LPS but kept them well for 6 years with regular 2 week water changes.

Once you go SPS, you test a whole lot more than the average reefer, I'd say... but at least my water changes have changed from 2x a month to 2x a year now! Woohoo!